Cuba Travel Answers

change location
sha55's Profile Photo

Getting around

by sha55 Online Now Dec 10, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Hi
My partner and I want to visit Cuba in February 2013, from the UK.
We would obviously like to spend time in Havana and would also like to take in Trinidad and hopefully Santiago, with some beaches along the way.
We have at least two weeks to do this.
My problem is I have spinal difficulties and cannot sit for long periods of time especially on bumpy cars or buses.
We were thinking about taxi so we could get out and stretch our legs etc but have no idea how ,who etc.
anyone have any experience of this? Know anyone they can trust? A tailor made holiday looks too pricey but we wonder if there was another safe more economical way of doing it?
Any replies would be much appreciated. Oh also comfortable mid priced hotels.
Many thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Getting around

by gwened Online Now Dec 10, 2012 at 8:01 AM

yes Havana is a must, then Santiago and Trinidad. Both Havana and Santiago have beaches and Trinidad not far ,anyway its an island Cuba.
    taxi need to book thru cubataxi the official agency and buses viazul both official nothing to worry about.
    you can do on your own, very nice see destinations above right and input those cities you will find many tips by posters like us

if not see this site current from folks there
    www.cuba-junky.com

hope it helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Getting around

by barbara.b Online Now Jan 12, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I just returned from Cuba (December 2012) and would like to share some advice:

1. not good exchange on rate on dollars. If coming from Europe keep your euros or pounds

2. Transportation with Viazul: few departures between destinations and very expensive. You can easily find other travelers to share taxis. If you are 3-4 pax, a taxi can turn up to be better than busses: less expensive, faster, and door to door service

3. If you are in Trinidad, for long distance drives, contact Ulises (tel mobile 52447841- home 0141 995132 ). He is a taxi driver, goes beyond himself to make you happy and offers incredible deals. For US$ 80 he drove us from Trinidad to Santi Spiritu. Stop for 45 min to visit the old town, continued to Santa Clara ( 3hours visit of the city includingthe Mausoleum of the Che and museum + museum of Ferrocarrìl) and in the afternoon continued to Cayo Santa Maria. Transfers + visit of Santi Espiritu + Santa Clara + cayo santa maria all included in the US$80!!! He is honest, will take care of your luggage in the car while you are visiting the sites. We left at 8.00 am and arrived to Cayo Santa Maria at 5 pm. Great day, no bus changes and great price. If you manage to be 4 it's a fantastic deal

4. we stayed in many casa particulares (B&B). Would highly recommend Rafaela y Pepe: by far the best place to stay in La Havana (also highly recommended by lonely planet so BOOK IN ADVANCE). Trinidad: we visited about 20 different places: 3 are definitely fantastic: hostal sahilys on the main square: only one bedroom: absolutely lovely just in front of the Romantic museum tel home 0053 (41) 993514 or mobile 0053 052947152, another stunning room (perhaps the most beautiful we saw in Cuba) is in the Casa particular Hostal el Tayaba in Juan Manuel Marquez street, few minutes walk from main square. Ask for the first room on the left as you enter the house: room is stunning!!! A 5* hotel room.

5. 3 museum that shouldn't be missed in Trinidad: romantic museum, architecture museum and history museum: The three museums occupy the most beautiful colonial houses in Trinidad.

6. Fantastic guide in Trinidad: her name is Osmara and she works as guide in the museum of architecture. She leads great tours of the sugar valley-has you visiting houses closed to the public. You can contact osmaratamayobazan@yahoo.es. We also did a tour of the old town of Trinidad with her. It was great!

7 Cayo Santa Maria is beautiful. We stayed in the wooden houses.

Can't remember the name of the hotel, the less expensive one but definitely charming. Food NOT GOOD AND VERY EXPENSIVE

8. Guama not really worth it

9. Buena vista social club concert in la Havana is worth every penny. Don't buy dinner. They have a good offer of the concert with a drink (no need to buy dinner). Also in La Havana loved la Bodeguita but go for lunch. We did both lunch and dinner. I think that for dinner they give what's left. Not as good as lunch. Lunch was fantastic

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Getting around

by Hogheadjim Online Now Apr 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

This may very well be to late a response but my wife and I are leaving tonight from Calgary to Cuba and we went with Vamos Cuba. It is only costing me $200 more for a guide with car for twelve days than it was going to cost me for an Audi for 7 days.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines