Cuba Travel Answers

change location

can you use euros in cuba

by christaist Online Now Apr 28, 2006 at 3:51 AM

Hi I am travelling to cuba in June, from ireland, I am just wondering can euros be used in cuba, as i am not sure what currency to bring as with us dollar not being accepted and also is there many atms in use over there?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • russian_yaz's Profile Photo

RE: can you use euros in cuba

by russian_yaz Online Now Apr 28, 2006 at 5:43 AM

Hello...Bring euros and at your arrival chage them into CUC. This is the currency U'll need in Cuba. The USD are not allowed to be used on the shops or anywhere else and also the tax exchange is too high so better use euro or pounds or anything else but USD. There is another currency, the cuban pesos. This is the currency the cubans receive as their salary but for tourists is usallly useless. Only in few places U'll need them...if U have more questions feel free to email me, I'll be glad to help U...Also check out my travel pages, U'll find lot of info and pics...have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • melosh's Profile Photo

by melosh Online Now Apr 28, 2006 at 7:53 AM

There is a 10% extra tax on exchange of US dollars, so you should avoid taking them. The shop keepers and the Cubans who receive dollars from the USA have to pay this tax, thus everyone prefers to receive euros.

• russian_yaz's Profile Photo

RE: RE: can you use euros in cuba

by russian_yaz Online Now Apr 28, 2006 at 10:57 AM

That's true but don't forget that the currency U'll need to use in hotels, restorants, cafeteria or anywhere else is the CUC so change the euros into CUC as soon as U arrive. U can pay direct in euros only to particulars....good luck and have fun!

• florry's Profile Photo

by florry Online Now Apr 28, 2006 at 11:57 AM

Hey, yes take your euros or even traveler-checks..but make sure there none US.Atms are not working to good there..have a great time:)

• RE: can you use euros in cuba

by madmatt Online Now May 9, 2006 at 12:56 AM

Avoid using CCards too wherever possible (to pay for hotels, car rentals, meals, etc) as that 10% 'Handling' Tax for USD - which I think is ingenious BTW, onya Fidel! - will also apply.

As they deem that all CCard transactions (communications/verifications with other banks) are in USD - even if you & your CCard from a country other than USA... B-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines