Cuba Travel Answers

change location

cuba

by jacquierobinson Online Now Oct 27, 2004 at 2:22 PM

We are visiting Cuba (Cayo Guillermo) in February 2005 to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary, I would be grateful if anyone has any tips about trips etc. Can we use a visa card when we are out there, I have conflictin reports that we can only use certain ones, I know you can't use American Express but have been told we can't use any MBNA cards. does anyone know if this is true. Also a couple of people have said we should take little presents out with us, things such as small soaps and pencils! Anyone know what the weather will be like and is there any problems with mosquitos?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • El_Cookie's Profile Photo

Re: cuba

by El_Cookie Online Now Oct 27, 2004 at 2:42 PM

My understanding is that credit cards drawn from a US bank will not work in Cuba. This has been in the news for the past couple of days. Castro banned the US dollar and is pushing for Euros or any other currency.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

Re: Re: cuba

by YVRDave Online Now Oct 27, 2004 at 3:04 PM

Not quite correct on BANNING the US$. He wants to base his economy on the Euro now. The people will still want the US$ to use as local currency and to send to relatives in USA. The weather could vary from warm to hot. Always bring mosquito repellant and baby oil for sand fleas. You say you are from Newcastle, you should get a UK Visa or Mastercard if you only have an MBNA card. If you are in an all-inclusive you could get away with cash. You may not need much and your ATM card will work too. (If a UK bank)

• AnjaV's Profile Photo

by AnjaV Online Now Oct 27, 2004 at 10:11 PM

For trip tips check this out: cuba-junky.com/ciego-de-avil...

• Re: Re: cuba

by chestermol Online Now Oct 28, 2004 at 11:20 AM

Push your website just a bit more Anja....

• damyjeroen's Profile Photo

by damyjeroen Online Now Oct 28, 2004 at 1:44 PM

Hi there in cuba in may but i do not think there is much a difference i could use my credit cars but it was a mastercard from an european bank and i know they are making it hard for american cards further tips -stay in havana for at least 3-4 days its worth it -visit pinar del rio its beautifull -and visit bay of pigs there is a small hotel in the middle of a swamp with crocodiles and only reachable by boat its really fun the last tip is the only place where there were more mosquitos then people (lol) but its worth the sting from them have a nice time jeroen www.damyjeroen-online.com

• AnjaV's Profile Photo

by AnjaV Online Now Oct 28, 2004 at 9:11 PM

Something wrong with that Chester? The information asked for IS there isn't it? But thanks for the advice ... I will :)

by chestermol Online Now Oct 29, 2004 at 6:54 AM

It is just every post that you make, it is "visit cuba-junky, visit cuba junky, visit cuba junky...." We get it, you have a website, great!

• AnjaV's Profile Photo

by AnjaV Online Now Oct 29, 2004 at 8:05 AM

Jealous? :)))

by chestermol Online Now Oct 29, 2004 at 11:43 AM

Hardly...I actually travel to more than 1 country.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines