Croatia Travel Answers

change location

Croatia without travel agency?

by MaddyPierce Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Hi to all, 

Is there chance to travel without any travel agency in to the Croatia? I would like to travel somewhere around Split, or Makarska, or so, But frined tell me, that there are some nice islands? I'm really confused, because I want to visit nature heritage Plitvicka lakes, and I really don't want have accomodation in small village. It's nothing for me. I haven't been never in south Europe before, so it's safe place here? Any advices? Per google I have found some websites www.croatian-adriatic.eu so I would like to ask, if someone of you have experiences with this websites - Is it reliable source? So I'm looking for some place near Plitvicka lakes, but in some qouti big town and not far away the sea.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • Asterix101's Profile Photo

Re: Croatia without travel agency?

by Asterix101 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 2:13 AM

For me is always better to travel without travel agency, same applies for Croatia.
    Islands are great, I spend there my holidays too.
    I don't know about the website you mentioned, but I can assure you that it's safe here.
    If you are looking for a bigger city, you can try Zadar, which is on the coast, and make an excursion trip to Plitvice. Zadar is also a great starting point for ferry trips to the islands.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I, also would never use a travel agency. Go by yourself and explore . Star by booking your first three nights in Croatia then you will meet people who will advise you on where to go and where to stay next. The site you posted looks helpful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: Croatia without travel agency?

by MaddyPierce Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Thank you people, I was a little bit affraid. Now I'm fine, I just order some appartament per the websites and it seems OK, the owner answered me asap, so anyway ve tried Sibenik location. I hope it will be fine. But according to your advices, we could spent couple of days in Zadar too. Many thanks for your advices!

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Sounds like all is more or less taken care of- Trogir is beautiful, for sure - summer is intense but I improvised some in high season - I just left my luggage at the left luggage place all bus stations have - they charge a small fee - and walked around, and very quickly I found a nice place, "apartmani" are posted outside the houses - So it is possible to be spontaneous too - The buses are very punctual, it is quite organized in Croatia - The drivers can be a bit grumpy but people on the buses (Croatians) told me that it the style here! In the high season a bit of greed can set in too (I had some bad luck with misrepresentation and overcharging) but otherwise, it is certainly safe...

• KristaB's Profile Photo

by KristaB Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I'd recomend you use official tourist board websites which offer an abundance of reliable and relevant information.
    For Zadar area - http://www.tzzadar.hr/en
    and for Croatia in general, with links to specific locations - National Tourist Board - http://croatia.hr/en-GB/

Zadar is a lovely old town, woth a couple of days visit. It is 2 hours by car to Plitvice lakes - you need a full day to explore Plitvice so start early in the morning, wear comfortable shoes with non-slip soles. Among recent forum postings about Zadar you can find more information about restaurants there, if you're interested.

The most popular islands are in Dalmatia, with ferry and catamaran connections from Split - a city with old core which evolved from an ancient Roman emperor's palace. visitsplit.com/en/398/the-hi...

My favourite island is Hvar, and the city of Hvar is very lively and cosmopolitan during summer, with many restaurants, bars and some very good hotels, and many boats, yachts and superyachts moored in the ancient city port.
    http://www.tzhvar.hr/en/

Have a wonderful time in Croatia!

• KristaB's Profile Photo

by KristaB Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I forgot to add that you can book hotels and even private accomodation in Croatia also through global booking sites like booking.com and similar, so you can really plan and organize this trip on your own. Have fun!

• Euroman's Profile Photo

by Euroman Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 6:04 AM

you can always travel without any agency! there are a lot of useful links of transportation in Croatia.

by misseille Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Let me be more specific.
    Putting your Visiwa web address into the Croatia forum search box on Trip Advisor brings up plenty of advertising posts by you using the name Hans, and your name Louis is also there.

by MaddyPierce Online Now Apr 8, 2013 at 6:01 AM

nedcro wrote:
    Being frequent follower on Croatia related items, I would advise to end answering this one. More than enough answers have been given, each with good intentions, some even very detailled and usefull. Guess MaddyPierce can now start dreaming of a wonderful holiday in Croatia, with or without tourist agency, and resting at any wished location, hotel, apartment or room (called "sobe" in Croatian). Poz. Nedcro.

Sobe is the same as room? or it's appartament? Thanks for reply

by MaddyPierce Online Now Apr 8, 2013 at 6:05 AM

nedcro wrote:
    Have a fantastic holiday Maddy, and if looking for an adventurous region, keep Omis with it's Cetina River Canyon in mind ! As that was our reason to leave Holland to live here permanently. You'll love it, and it's a perfect goal for a day trip from Sibenik ! Also highly recommended is a visit to Trogir (under Unesco and traffic free). And one step further you're in Split, with it's fantastic antique centre. You'll be back for a next holiday, you'll find out !

A little bit off, but I think Holland is beautiful palce for living.  Split sounds great! I googled and it seems Split has beautiful centre and if I read it correctly, some castle??

by MaddyPierce Online Now Apr 8, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Euroman wrote:
    you can always travel without any agency! there are a lot of useful links of transportation in Croatia.

I wasn't afraid about transporatation, but about accomodation. You never know how it will looks like, before you visit it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Croatia Travel Answer Locations