Croatia Travel Answers

change location
Wychwoodgolfer's Profile Photo

zadar

by Wychwoodgolfer Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Hi me an 3 friends are landing in Zadar 12th April
Shall we travel by car or public transport
Also anybody got tips on accommodation restaurants and places to visit while there for 1 week.
Cheers Eddy

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: zadar

by leics Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Can't help with the transport question but whilst you are waiting for VT-ers who can help to reply (and they will, so do check back regularly) have a look at the VT Zadar travel guide here:

Zadar Travel Guide

where you will find hundreds of tips about what to see & do, where to eat etc all written by VT locals and visitors. You'll find the same wealth of information for other locations in Croatia as well. :-)

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • IvanaP's Profile Photo

by IvanaP Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Hi Eddy,
    Zadar is an ancient city, approx. 3000 years old, full of historical and cultural monuments.The church of St. Donatus can be said to be the symbol of the city together with the Roman Forum. Recently Zadar has become known for the Sea Organ on the promenade. In the nearby Nin, you can see the smallest cathedral in the world, the Church of the Holy Cross, 36 steps long. There are, of course, many more places to visit, but the previously mentioned are the most famous ones that you should not miss.
    I visited Zadar a couple of times and I assume that it has good public transportation, but if you want to visit the nearby places, I would recommend to rent a car.
    Hope this helps,
    Ivana

2 members found this helpful

• bugulma's Profile Photo

by bugulma Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Voting for Nin as well. And Ivana described sight seeings as well. I found the old city very interesting for walking around.
    Plitvice Lakes National park could be good as a day trip from Zadar (I got the bus, for the time tables autobusni-kolodvor.com/en/ti....

• KristaB's Profile Photo

by KristaB Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Hi Eddy, If you could give us some basic info about your travel style, budget preferences and interests we'll be able to give you more specific information.

If you want to try fine foods and wines, my fav place for special occasions is Fosa (fosha) a restaurant in tiny old port right next to the city walls
    http://www.fosa.hr/

In April you're righ on time for magnificent fresh scampi - but do insist that they give you the large and fresh ones. Best would be to go to restaurant Niko http://www.hotel-niko.hr/ and ask for steamed large scampi ('shkampi na pari') if you want to taste the pure sweetness of the Adriatic. Scampi 'buzara' style is your second best option.

Best pizza in town is Sime (shime) on Matije Gupca 15 a bit uphil form Niko hotel / restaurant. Good steaks also.

I usually avoid restaurants on main roads and would never have ventured into restaurant Kornat right in the Zadar ferry port, but their advertisement on the radio was very tempting and the cook was speaking in gently spicy juicy words - so we hat to try a set price menu for 80 kuna (11 Euro) per person - 5 delicious courses ('slow food, unusual but interesting and tasty, smaller portions which add up into a great meal) and one glass of good wine.
    http://www.restaurant-kornat.com/en/

For a good dose of daily homemade local dishes, go where locals go - Konoba Stomorica in the old town, google the location and print it - Zadar has a labyrinth of narrow streets and even after years of visiting regularly I sometimes need a map to find some 'familiar' locations.

For great roasted lamb or suckling pig on a spit, go to restaurant Tamaris.

As per transportation, if you are focused on exploring Zadar, renting a car would just be costly and complicated due to limited parking near old city area. Public transportation is clean, safe and on schedule, or ask your hotel/landlord about reputable taxi company and their prices in advance. If you wish to visit Krka National park, Biokovo (hiking) Vransko jezero and Zrmanja river kanyon, or even to Plitvice National park renting for 3-4 days might be a reasonable option. best would be to join organized excursions from zadar, but I'm afraid April is a bit early for those
    tzzadar.hr/en/city-guide/exc...

Archaeological mueum is a must for anyone having even a vague interest in European history, and also the Museum of antiquity glass
    http://www.mas-zadar.hr/

2 members found this helpful

• nheinric's Profile Photo

by nheinric Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

As already quoted for 1st apr. try

http://www.tzzadar.hr/en

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines