Croatia Travel Answers

change location
Saar123's Profile Photo

finding a sailingboat to crew: Where to go?

by Saar123 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Hi,

I plan to go to Croatia in may, and would like to look for a sailingboat on which I can crew. At which harbours am most likely to find a boat that will take me on?

Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Saar123's Profile Photo

Re: finding a sailingboat to crew: Where to go?

by Saar123 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Hi nedcro,

I am not Dutch, but Belgian.
    I did a RYA course in Greece last summer, but now I would like to continue learning it with private people, because I just more prefer the not so "school-ing" thing... I did competent crew and basic navigation course. Not so much experience at sea, but wanting to learn!!

thanks!

Saar

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • KristaB's Profile Photo

by KristaB Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM

It I understand your question correctly, you are not looking for a sailing course, but for a job as a crew? If that's the case, I think that's not possible, and not only because in Croatia there are many experienced professional skippers who are experts on local geography, weather, language, many are excellent cooks etc.
    Crew on commercial charter sailboats have to be employed, insured and have extensive sailing experience. Private owners are sailors themselves, their families or friends are their crew so they are very unlikely to take strangers onboard to help. Regular sailboats have only one skipper, or even just one per several sailboats sailing as a flotilla sailing school.

I've been boating for over 18 years and have been through storms and all sorts of situations meeting/rescuing inexperienced sailors that have caused material damage and injuries.

I believe that your best strategy is to join more sailing courses ('flotilla' type tend to be least expensive) or charter a sailboat with a good skipper/instructor (more expensive but also more efficient learning) with a group of other people interested in sailing sharing the cost. That'is the only way to improve your sailing skills and gain more experience. Good luck and have a great time!

by Saar123 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Dear Krista,

I am not looking for a job. I would just love to join a sailingboat and help around. And learn by watching, before doing it myself.

Saar

• KristaB's Profile Photo

by KristaB Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Maybe if Nedcro can put you in touch with those Dutch sailors you can negotiate some sort of a deal or learn about other options available. I wish you best of luck!

1 member found this helpful

• SailingSplit's Profile Photo

by SailingSplit Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Hi Saar123,

Try contact this guy... mkundih@gmail.com...he is a friend of mine and do regattes with crew...both experienced and less experienced people...

If anybody knows about the possibility it is him :D

Participating in a regatta is great experience...and all I met in Croatia are great people...

Hope you will have a great time there...

• SailingSplit's Profile Photo

by SailingSplit Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Oh and you can have his website as well....nice and funny guy :)

http://www.yachtingincroatia.com/

by Saar123 Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM

thanks!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Croatia Travel Answer Locations