Croatia Travel Answers

change location

Itinerary Help! Skip Zagreb/Plitvice/ or Split for more time in Hvar? Or sacrifice time in Hvar?

by SimplicitLy Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Hi, I am planning a trip to Croatia and Bosnia end of May. The Bosnia tour is fixed for 5/25-5/31. I have the entire week prior to explore Croatia, and I want to know how to best use that time.

My proposed itinerary:
Arrive Zagreb Saturday 5/18. Rent a car. Overnight in Zagreb.
Sunday 5/19: Zagreb  Plitvice Lakes. Overnight in Plitvice Lakes.
Monday 5/20: Plitvice Lakes  Split. Return rental car. Overnight in Split.
Tuesday 5/21: Split  Hvar. Hvar for 3 nights.
Friday 5/24: Hvar  Split. Overnight in Split.
Saturday 5/25: Kick off Bosnia Tour. 6 night tour through Bosnia.
Friday 5/31: Arrive in Dubrovnik. Dubrovnik for 3 nights.
Monday 6/3: Return to US.

My question:
- Should I sacrifice a day in Hvar to have 1 day to explore Zagreb? Or can I skip Zagreb? (based on the current itinerary, I would arrive 11 PM and leave early in the AM for Plitvice)
- Should I skip Zagreb and Plitvice altogether and just spend more time in Split and Hvar?
- Should I sacrifice a day in Hvar to have more time in Split (based on the current itinerary, I would have only 2 afternoons)

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • robine's Profile Photo

Re: Itinerary Help! Skip Zagreb/Plitvice/ or Split for more time in Hvar? Or sacrifice time in Hvar?

by robine Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I agree. Your draft itinerary sounds very good to me. Zagreb is by no means without interest, but Plitvice and the coast are much more attractive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

Re: Itinerary Help! Skip Zagreb/Plitvice/ or Split for more time in Hvar? Or sacrifice time in Hvar?

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I also agree with the above posts. Plitvice and towns of the Dalmatian coast are all not to be missed. Zagreb is good for a day, but focus more on the Dalmatian towns and Hvar. You can check my Plitvice lakes and other Croatian locations pages. There are links from my homepage. Enjoy iy :)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Definately visit Plitvic Lakes, just superb. Check out photos on my Plitvic page and I am sure you will visit

1 member found this helpful

• haysnoe's Profile Photo

by haysnoe Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I did a similar trip last year. After five of days in Croatia we were incredibly grateful to be leaving the high prices and huge crowds behind us. Next stop was Bosnia and then we were scheduled to return to the north of Croatia after five days in Bosnia. We ended up transferring all of our Croatia days to Bosnia because we absolutely loved it there, particularly the absence of crowds and the incredibly low prices.
    Having said that, I have a great tip for Plitvice Lakes. Park in the more southern of the two parking lots there (you might also see a sign for Hotel Bellevue). DO NOT BUY YOUR ENTRANCE TICKET THERE. Instead, walk to the park entrance. There is a separate ticket window there and nobody else seems to know about it. Unfortunately, we wasted about 45 minutes in line when we could have literally walked directly to the window had we known.

by haysnoe Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM

You are right, of course, but in this case the only time we could travel was July. All of the things in Croatia are crowded at that time because they're all such amazing places to visit and it's all so incredibly beautiful. We loved Mljet, which was a real tonic after leaving Dubrovnik.
    I had been to Croatia previously in 2005, but that trip was in March and it was very pleasant. The next time I go to Dubrovnik, though, it'll have to be well off-season or forget it.

• IvanaP's Profile Photo

by IvanaP Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

As you are on your way to Split, I would highly recommend that you visit the Krka National Park as well as the Lake Vrana Nature Park (especially the Kamenjak Viewpoint). Both are in the vicinity of Šibenik.
    Krka National Park is crowded in the summer, but Kamenjak Viewpoint is not so crowded since it has been recently opened and not many people actually know about it yet. It is such a pity, because there is a stunning view of Vrana Lake as well as the Kornati islands. The entrance fee is only 20 kuna and I would highly recommend that you at least stop by and enjoy the view for a few moments.
    Hope this helps,
    Ivana

• Re: Itinerary Help! Skip Zagreb/Plitvice/ or Split for more time in Hvar? Or sacrifice time in Hvar?

by xiaosquared Online Now May 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Dear experienced travelers, we only have 6 days in Croatia for our September honeymoon and I planned this busy itinerary between Dubrovnik, Split/Hvar, Plitvice (flying from Split to Zagreb to get there) however people on Lonelyplanet said my itinerary looks more like a marathon race..
    Do you guys feel by exploring Dubrovnik, we would get a good grasp of how Hvar would be like? Is Plitvice worth the trip to visit?

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now May 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM

6 days looks very rushed, I guess it includes your arrival day and departure day, if so what time do you arrive and depart.

I personally would not do it, you will be able to say you have "seen it" , but not experienced it and enjoyed it.

Your choice!

by haysnoe Online Now May 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM

That is way too much for six days. I would make a decision between north and south since Dubrovnik and Plitvice are rather far apart. Personally, I would recommend identifying the most important place (whether Dubrovnik or Plitvice) and settle on that small area. If Dubrovnik, perhaps you could add Hvar, or Korcula, with a night or two in Split and be OK for six days (I hope it's six nights). Or, it could be Plitvice, Zadar and Rab for six days.
    Flying from Split to Zagreb to see Plitvice Lakes makes no sense. It's a 3-hour drive from Split and a 2-hour drive from Zagreb. No need to fly to save one hour.
    For a honeymoon, I would split it up between Dubrovnik and Hvar (or Mljet which is really low-key) or Dubrovnik and Kotor Bay and save the whirlwind tour for another time.

• Re: Itinerary Help! Skip Zagreb/Plitvice/ or Split for more time in Hvar? Or sacrifice time in Hvar?

by xiaosquared Online Now May 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Kotor bay is a great suggestion:) I think we will go to Dubrovnik and kotor bay!!! Thanks a million!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Croatia Travel Answer Locations