Croatia Travel Answers

change location

transit visa

by shantanu.bedekar Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I am an Indian passport holder currently residing in Hungary. I have a valid Hungarian resident permit (Valid for next 2 years). I want to take a train to Venice from Budapest, however it goes via Croatia. Do I need Croatian visa to transit?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: transit visa

by nob-in Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM

There is no more direct train from Budapest to Venice, it was canceled a few years ago. Nowadays it is possible to travel to Venice with change(s), either in Vienna or via Croatia-Slovenia

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: transit visa

by leics Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Is it essential that you take a train which goes via Croatia?

The excellent

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

does not list any Budapest>Venice trains which go via Croatia. Trains mostly go via Austria or, occasionally, Germany.

If you choose to go via Croatia then this page will give you information about whether you need a visa or not:

mfa.hr/mvp.asp?pcpid=1615&am...">mfa.hr/mvp.asp?pcpid=1615&am...

As you hold a resident's visa, it seems that (as an Indian citizen) you will not need a Croatian visa. But you should check this directly with the embassy rather than rely on advice from an internet forum, even one as good as VT.

1 member found this helpful

• robine's Profile Photo

by robine Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Ask the Croatian Consulate!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM

For visa information, please click on the second part of my Croatian Embassy link, to the right of the > symbol.

• Richard.GVA's Profile Photo

by Richard.GVA Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I would say that you (still) need a passpoprt to travel through Croatia. Croatia will become an EU member this summer, but not necessarily a Schengen agreement member for now. Things are changing fast, so you better check with the Croatia embassy in Budapest. If you need a visa and cannot get one, then you simply treavel via Austria to Venice and, thus remiaining in the Schengen zone.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM

As you have valid residence permit in EU, you won't have any trouble passing through Croatia.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Croatia Travel Answer Locations