My family and I visited the Cripple Creek area in the late '60s, and then again in '73, '75 & '84. During these trips we took loads of photos - most are color slides. I'm 72 years old now and have begun a project to digitize our vacation trips to the West (We are Easterners). Unfortunately, one's memory seems to fade when it comes to exact names of locations, etc. I wish I had made better notes now so that I can properly denote my digitized photos. (I'm doing this for my kids who were young back then). The Cripple Creek/Victor Mining District is (was) quite an interesting and unique place to us is is evident by our many returns. Each time we came, we brought neighbors in camper carivans with us nd camped at the old Hospital.
What I'm asking is for some limited assistance in identifying certain buildings, etc.
1. There is one building on the right of the rooftop fire lookout building in Cripple Creek. I can see it has a name inscribed near the roofline but cannot make it out completely. Looks like "Sneall & Co 1896". Can you tell me wht it really says?
2. There was a mining mill? on the right as one travelled from Cripple Creek towards Victor. It had a very long sloping metal roof. Seems like I remember it being Carlton, or Anaconda. Is either correct?
3 There was an almost new structure that I have an unmarked slide of that I believe was vert near the structure in # 2 above. Do you have any idea what this my be?
4. On my slide listings I have a listing for a "Church of Christ Scientist" building in Victor. None of my slides have this marking, but I believe it to be a building I have pictured that looks like it was intended to look "Greek" with several large colums in front. Is this it?
5. One trip we took a mine tour down into a mine that I have marked as the "Molly Kathleen". I can't seem to find it listed now. Has this mine changed names, or was I wrong with the name?
When I am through, I would be happy to share my digitized photos with you either over the internet or on a CD/DVD. They are turning out to be fairly good photos to be from color slides and negatives that are over 30 years old.
Again, Thanks for any help you might give.
1. how far or how long to you think it would take to get to leadville from cripple creek??
2. know if good horse back riding places in cripple creek
3 phantom canyon road is ok for us to drive since we are "greenhorns" from the city
driving a 2 wheel drive SUV
4 we have made reservations at The hotel victor (in victor) has any one stayed there
AWSOME RATES cute rooms from the pics on the web site
i know and have looked up this stuff on the net but would like opinons from those who have "been there done that "