Cripple Creek Travel Answers

change location
annejan64's Profile Photo

questions about cripple creek area

by annejan64 Online Now Jul 4, 2005 at 9:21 PM

1. how far or how long to you think it would take to get to leadville from cripple creek??

2. know if good horse back riding places in cripple creek

3 phantom canyon road is ok for us to drive since we are "greenhorns" from the city
driving a 2 wheel drive SUV

4 we have made reservations at The hotel victor (in victor) has any one stayed there
AWSOME RATES cute rooms from the pics on the web site

i know and have looked up this stuff on the net but would like opinons from those who have "been there done that "

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • WebTopGunCom's Profile Photo

Re: questions about cripple creek area

by WebTopGunCom Online Now Sep 19, 2007 at 1:09 PM

1. about 1.5 hours to Leadville in good weather these a partly back country mountain roads and may not be good in snow season
    2. horse riding is available outside of town near Gillette Flats
    3. Phantom canyon is not too bad it is mostly gravel and not well maintained so it can get a little rough; if you keep to a reasonable speed it is okay for most vehicles. The other road going south, Shelf Road, is more scenic with steep cliffs much of the way. Four wheel drive is recommended and they mean it and only a fool would take that route after dark or in the winter.
    4. I have only been in the lobby of the hotel, they have done a lot of work and repairs but I cannot speak for the rooms.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines