County Wicklow Travel Answers

change location

Staying in Rathdrum... things to do/places to eat in the area?

by mmckelvey Online Now Apr 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Hello, my soon-to-be husband & I are staying in Rathdrum for about 6 days in June and I haven't done much research because it is our honeymoon and I'm otherwise preoccupied with wedding plans. Are there any suggestions on things we should see, pubs with good food/music? Also any other suggestions outside of the area that are good for day trips (we are staying in Dublin for 5 days following our stay in Rathdrum). Thank you!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

Re: Staying in Rathdrum... things to do/places to eat in the area?

by annemariebyrne Online Now Apr 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I'm curious about where you are staying in Rathdrum for you honeymoon...? If you are not staying in Brook Lodge then it is definitely a place to visit but it's a few miles outside the village so you'll need transport. On the 1st Sunday of every month the they have an organic food market, every Friday night they host a jazz session, they also have an equestrian centre if you want to go horse-riding and a golf course if that appeals. Also there is a spa if you feel like pampering yourself!
    Rathdrum village itself is quite small with a number of pubs that have music and some serve food but it's not exactly a gourmet centre! However the people are friendly and it's a great place to base yourself for visiting Co.Wicklow. The main attraction in the locality is Avondale House, the former home of a famous Irish parliamentarian Charles Stewart Parnell. It is now owned by the Irish forestry service, Coillte. Check out their site www.coillte.ie, go to Forest Parks and click on no.8 on the map. You can take a tour of the house or take various forest walks, I'd recommend following the longest one which will take you on a complete circuit of the estate, starting from the car park, down to the river and back up. There is a small cafe in the basement of the house for refreshments when you finish.
    Another attraction in the area is Greenane Farm and Maze but it's more of a family venue, kids love the maze amd small animals.
    Provided you have a car a visit to Glendalough is a must, it's a beautiful and historic valley where you can follow marked trails, visit the ancient graveyard and round tower or just hang out by the lakes. There is an interprtative centre there for information and car parks and picnic sites as well as a hotel for lunch.
    Wicklow town might be nice for a wander around and you can visit the historic gaol or the beaches at Silver Strand outside the town. Other beaches are Brittas Bay and Arklow or further afield at Courtown or Ballymoney, it depends on how far you want to drive.
    I hope this gives you some ideas, get back to me via the forum or email if you need any more info. Enjoy your honeymoon and congratulations on your wedding!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Staying in Rathdrum... things to do/places to eat in the area?

by mmckelvey Online Now Apr 2, 2009 at 5:58 AM

Thanks! This is incredibly helpful! We are renting a cottage for the week - I believe it has a name - Mountlusk I think.

One question I have now is, do you have suggestions for grocery stores in the area? Since we are staying in a house I am sure that I will want to cook a few meals there.

Thank you so much and I will definitely contact you if I have more questions (which I probably will).

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Apr 3, 2009 at 5:27 AM

There are two small but adequate grocery shops/minimarkets in Rathdrum village, they're on the main street so you can't miss them. If you need major shopping then Wicklow town is your best bet, there's a good Tesco supermarket there. Also there's a Lidl (discount supermarket) on the outskirts of Wicklow town, good but wouldn't have as wide a range as Tesco.AM

• sandyn's Profile Photo

by sandyn Online Now Apr 4, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Definitely see Glendalough, the gardens at Powerscourt, Avoca and hiking the Wicklow trail. Congratulations!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Wicklow Travel Answer Locations