County Wicklow Travel Answers

change location

Powerscourt and Glendalough in the same day?

by jenjuhn Online Now Feb 3, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Hello, I will be traveling in Ireland for the first time this March and wondering if it would be easy/difficult/worthwhile to visit Powerscourt house and gardens and Glendalough in the same day? It seems that Powerscourt estate might offer enough to do in one day, but I heard that Glendalough is very picturesque being near the Wicklow mountains. If this is possible what would be the best means of travel?

Thanks so much for any advice or suggestions!
Jennifer

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Re: Powerscourt and Glendalough in the same day?

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 3, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Hi
    We drove in Ireland in the countryside and it was fine. Dublin is another story. Very busy at peak hour, By car with an Irish friend on board we visited both places in one day but then I do not linger and we had good directions..
    This site explains how to get to Glendalough . There may be day tours. I do not know.
    wicklow.com/glendalough/

For Powerscourt
    Public Transport:
    Dart to Bray & 185 to Enniskerry.
    44C from City Centre (Townsend Street) to Enniskerry Village.
    For timetable please phone Dublin Bus -
    Tel: 01 873 4222

Day tours: • Bus Eireann: 01 703 2574
    • Dublin Bus: 01 873 4222
    • Dualway: 01 458 0054

March may still be cool. Would you want to spend time in the grounds. Best to check what is open in March

The Dart is the city train .
    You will find more info in V.T. in Travel Pages.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 3, 2009 at 11:35 PM

www.buseirann.ie will give you timetables for all Irish buses.

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Feb 4, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Jennifer,
    The easiest and probably best way to see Glendalough and Powerscourt in one day is on a guided tour, see www.discoverireland.com for details of the bus eireann tour (+there are other companies).
    If you are thinking of driving see my reply to mkmcatsfan on 27/01/09 further down this ireland forum page.
    If you are going on public transport I think it would be best to limit yourself to one or the other. Glendalough is only served by one private bus company and the service is infrequent, basically one out in the morning and one back in the evening see details on www.glendaloughbus.com
    Enniskerry is the nearest village to Powerscourt, you can get there on Dublin bus no.44 from Townsend St or get the DART to Bray and then bus no. 185 from the station. Either way you will have to walk up quite a long hill to get to the entrance to Powerscourt and then a long but pleasant walk through the estate to the house and gardens.
    The weather in March might be a consideration too so overall I think joining an organised tour is the way to go!
    Anne Marie

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Wicklow Travel Answer Locations