County Wicklow Travel Answers

change location

Seeking suggestions for best town to stay.

by JuC Online Now Jan 26, 2006 at 9:29 AM

Hello

I'm planning to take my teenage daughters on a holiday in August. We want to visit Dublin but probably not stay there. I'm thinking that County Wicklow would be nice, perhaps somewhere on the Dart rail line.

I'd like a town that would be a good base from where to explore the area. That means good rail/bus links because we wont be driving. We're looking to visit some nice costal and countyrside spots, plus castles, country house gardens etc.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions or advice.

Thanks, Julian

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • donalh's Profile Photo

RE: Seeking suggestions for best town to stay.

by donalh Online Now Jan 27, 2006 at 3:24 AM

Try Greystones in Co. Wicklow. It was once a pretty seaside town at the end of the Dart line - it's now just another suburb, but quite a nice one. Although public transport in Ireland is crap Greystones ticks most of the boxes required.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gautier84's Profile Photo

Re: Seeking suggestions for best town to stay.

by Gautier84 Online Now Jan 12, 2008 at 11:13 AM

just go to Glendalough (the valley of the 2 lakes), this is incredible, I advise u to go to the Glendalough YH fro which hills are near, u'll be able to climb them, make adventure trips and so on;

• lbhspatriot's Profile Photo

Re: Seeking suggestions for best town to stay.

by lbhspatriot Online Now Feb 5, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Glendalough is great to visit but not an amazing place to stay! It has almost no comunication and travelling to Dublin will be teribly expensive. I would recommend Wicklow, it is on the dart line, not too far from Dublin and a great spot to discover county Wicklow, it is great for tourists with many shops and spots to visit - like the Wicklow Gaol which is a great eperience
    Also Bray might be a great spot to stay, it is best connected to both counties (Dublin and Wicklow).
    Once you are there Glendalough is a must! As well as Powerscourt, Enniskerry and Avondale.
    Once you are on the Dart line you can travel to Malahide to see the castle and dolls museum up there, Dublin itself (start of with "hop on hop off" tour), and if you have teenage doughters maybe they might enjoy the Dracula experience in Clonarf! Me, I am a fan of Dracula and going in the castle and it was just scaary! But great :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Wicklow Travel Answer Locations