County Wicklow Travel Answers

change location

off to Avoca incountry Wicklow, whats the craic!

by kehkeh Online Now Jul 13, 2005 at 7:11 PM

Hello there im visiting some friends who have finally persuaded us to visit them in Avoca, trouble is ,we are leaving at short notice and so I really havent figured out on much to do.
Any must do suggestions?
any famous historical must see's?
Any good eateries, or places for speciality food?
we would love to hear.
Thankyou.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RE: off to Avoca incountry Wicklow, whats the craic!

by Jenniferj Online Now Jul 14, 2005 at 5:17 AM

Check out the Meeting of the Waters where 3 or 4 rivers come together, theres a nice little park beside it where you can sit and paddle your feet in the water-we've been having a heatwave here since last sunday. You can also have a drink in the pub there of the same name. I've never eaten around there but if you drive about 30 mins to the Brooklodge hotel in Macreddin they have an amazing (and expensive!)restaurant called the Strawberry or something like that and its well worth a visit if you're a real foodie.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: RE: off to Avoca incountry Wicklow, whats the craic!

by orlikins Online Now Jul 14, 2005 at 9:03 AM

please check out my Wicklow page for more about Avoca.

It is really quite a small village (2 streets, a bridge, a river, a shop and a bar) so don't expect something out of this world. You know it is where "Ballykissangel" is set, right? Basically, there are loads of gift shops there tied in with the program. Avoca handweavers is interesting enough too - they sell homemade marmalades, chocolates etc ... they also have a branch in Dublin.

• RE: RE: off to Avoca incountry Wicklow, whats the craic!

by kehkeh Online Now Aug 20, 2005 at 11:58 AM

Thankyou all!

You know Ive just come back from Ireland, and i checked my post, and I thought Ive been to the "Meeting of the waters!" and had some lovely creamy guinesses there! but I missed the heatwave it began to rain!
    I had the craic though!mainly with our lovely Irish hosts!
    Cheers!

• lbhspatriot's Profile Photo

Re: off to Avoca incountry Wicklow, whats the craic!

by lbhspatriot Online Now Feb 5, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Check out Avondale in Rathdrum, the forestry park is amazing and it is only about 6km from avoca. Also Glendalough would be a perfect place to visit with the monastry.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Wicklow Travel Answer Locations