County Sligo Travel Answers

change location
moirholj's Profile Photo

Visiting Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery in November?

by moirholj Online Now Nov 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I will be in the Sligo area this month and would very much like to visit the Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery. The trouble is that all of the information I am finding says that the area is only open April through October. Is the entire area gated, fenced, or otherwise closed off in during the 'off season'? Is it possible for me to just park and walk around so long as I understand that the visitor's center is not in operation? Thank you in advance to anyone who can help :-)
Cheers!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery in November?

by leics Online Now Nov 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I have not visited this site but from the information given here:

heritageireland.ie/en/north-...

I feel you may find the carpark is closed to the public, not merely the exhibition.

You may also find that some of the monuments are inaccessible but this is a large site: it is still worth a visit, I think, even if you can only see much of it from afar.

This is a very helpful website:

carrowkeel.com/sites/carrowm...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Visiting Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery in November?

by Davidmccc Online Now Dec 3, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Hi yes unfortunatly you are correct about the Megalithic Cemetary; the visitor centre is closed until March/April. However the area is predominantly fields and while privately owned it is possible (if you're willing) to still explore the area at your own risk. However there is also creevykeel and carrowkeel cemetaries closeby which also have megalithic structures... on top of Knocknarea (this is a mountain which overlooks carrowmore) there is an unexcavated tomb.

I also highly recommend Strandhill as a base as this is closeby for all this - a car is advisable though!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Sligo Travel Answer Locations