County Sligo Travel Answers

change location

Transportation in Sligo

by SusanLockwood Online Now Aug 3, 2005 at 1:05 PM

My husband and I will be visiting Ireland August 20 to Sept. 2. We will have a free day on August 22 in Sligo. My gggrandfather, Patrick McGuire, was from Moylough, Sligo and my gggrandmouther, Catherine Niland, was from Doocastle, Mayo. I would very much like to visit these towns. Can any one tell me the best way to get there from Sligo City? Is there a bus? taxi? rental car? Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Susan Lockwood

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: Transportation in Sligo

by orlikins Online Now Aug 3, 2005 at 2:36 PM

For starters, Sligo is definitely NOT a city :)

it would be best to rent a car for the day as public transport in the north west of Ireland is not great.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Transportation in Sligo

by SusanLockwood Online Now Aug 3, 2005 at 5:29 PM

Thanks for the help, if Sligo isn't a city is it a town?

RE: RE: Transportation in Sligo

by orlikins Online Now Aug 4, 2005 at 1:38 AM

Yes, it is a small town - the largest one in the North West region, but it is quite small in comparison to other Irish towns.

• dmrtn's Profile Photo

by dmrtn Online Now Aug 4, 2005 at 2:56 AM

I remember recently when I was up there having a lively debate with the locals ina pub about whether Sligo was a town or a city. I think there was some movement to have Sligo declared a city but it didn't quite take off :-) my friend, who's not from Sligo, was adamant that it was a town, while some of the locals were insisting, not just that it should be a city, but that it was already :-)

I checked up on those two placenames, Doocastle is on the Sligo/Mayo border near Tubbercurry, but the only Moylough I can find is in North Co. Galway. If these are the two places they both seem to be within 10-15 miles of the N17 which is the main route between Galway City and Sligo TOWN, so maybe you could visit both on a trip to Galway?

Anyway, a rental car is definitely the way to go. Public transport would get you along the N17 route ok, but these are pretty rural areas I think.

Dave.

by orlikins Online Now Aug 4, 2005 at 3:40 AM

They're equally deluded in Kilkenny about their city/town status - just because they've got Yeats and Westlife in Sligo does not make it a city :)

Moylough and Doocastle are most likely little villages, they're not very well-known.

by nige_ Online Now Aug 4, 2005 at 5:03 PM

Doocastle isnt even a village it is the name of the area-there is nothing there but bog(i have relations there)The nearest village is Gurteen.

nige

• RE: Transportation in Sligo

by SusanLockwood Online Now Aug 11, 2005 at 8:02 AM

Thank you to everyone that answered my question. Your posts have been very helpful. Looks like our best bet is to rent a car. And I'll call Sligo a town from now on!!! Can't wait to get to Ireland, I've wanted to make this trip all my life! Susan

by Narrowback2 Online Now Aug 12, 2005 at 9:26 AM

There is a map of Doocastle on the website 'castlebar.ie/photos' that you might find interesting. There is not much to Doocastle. In the 1901 census, Doocastle was the name of a townland. My father was born in Doocastle and I have been there several times. One approach to get to Doocastle is to go to Gurteen where the old creamery was converted to a museum for Irish music. It features Michael Coleman who was born nearby. As a young man, my father brought milk from the Doocastle farms to the Gurteen creamery. Ask directions at the museum, as Doocastle is only a few miles away or as they say down the road a bit. I think that your grandfather is from Mylock but am not sure about that. I hope that you have a nice time.

by KateOGradyNiland Online Now Dec 3, 2005 at 3:23 PM

I think you might be a distant relative - I was born in Doocastle, and my grandmother was Catherine Niland - married to James Niland.Did you get to Ireland?

by FamilyTree68 Online Now Sep 20, 2006 at 4:38 PM

Dear Susan

Did you ever get to Doocastle? I would be grateful for any information you may have about the place. My great grandfather emigrated from Ireland , lived most of his life in the East end of London but reurned as an old man and died there in 1930 at the age of 95. His name was Thomas Gallagher and I believe he once gave the address Doocastle Post office on a letter (though this could have just been the place to send letters of course!)

I believe he lived with the Cawley family (one of whom may have been his daughter)

For anyone else reading this link who has knowledge of Doocastle I'd be very grateful for information on any libraries /churches (graveyards in the locality).

I read on a website it had a population of over 2,000 but that this was in a radius of 7kms which isn't really the same thing at all!!

Anyway if anyone knows anything of the Cawleys or the Gallaghers would be delighted to hear

James

• Re: Transportation in Sligo

by SusanMaguireLockwood Online Now May 3, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Yes, we made it to Ireland, and it was GRAND! Boy is this late for a response but I didn't think anyone would still be writing on this topic. I just happened to "Google" my name and this page popped up and I just read some more of the responses. We landed in Dublin August 20, 2005. We went by bus to visit the National Stud. Then we went to Sligo. We rented a car, a tiny little thing with a clutch and off we went to find Doocastle and Moylough. Well we found the area but there is no town really. We asked a lovely lady out walking with her son and she directed us to a lady that ownes a B&B. This lady directed to a Mrs. Margaret Niland. We stopped at her house and she invited us in for tea and cookies. What a lovey person. She was a Niland by marriage. She is a widow with her son living next door and one living in Australia. She said that the old Niland homestead was just across the field below her house and asked if we wanted to go see it. Well of course we did, so she got in the car with us and drove around the corner and down a lane. We stopped at a farmer's gate to a field with cows in it and started to walk across the field. She said that it use to be called the White Road as the road was paved with white rocks. Mrs. Niland is a lady in her 70s and I was worried about her walking across this field so I had her holding onto my arm. Just before we got to the old stone cottage I stopped to tell her to be careful that there was a hole in front of us, but I was too late she stepped in and fell and I went down too. Fortunately she fell on soft dirt and she said that she was all right. I wasn't quite so lucky, I hit a rock with my right wrist when I put my hands up in front of my face. I heard the bone in my wrist break. But the worst thing was that my new digital camera didn't work after that, so I couldn't even take a picture of the cottage. I didn't tell Mrs. Niland or my husband that my wrist was broken. I had waited all my life to get to Ireland and see the home of my gggrandparents and I wasn't going to leave until I had to. We looked around the cottage for a while, the ground was covered with big old brown beer bottles and old leather shoes and boots. Maybe someone that lived there was as shoemaker? Mrs. Niland took us to visit a McGuire family that she thought might be related. They were very nice people who ivited us in and gave us tea and cookies but they didn't think that they were the McGuire family that I was looking for. They mentioned another McGuire family that lived in Moylough that might be the right family but we had run out of time and had to get the car back to Sligo. By this time my husband, Jim, realized that I had really hurt my wrist and wanted to see it. When he did he realized that it was broken and needed to take me to hospital. And that is a whole other story! When I got out of the hospital after surgery and a heavy old plaster cast on my arm, we had to catch the bus to Galway as that is where the rest of out tour group was. We caught up to them and everything was fine for the rest of the trip expect that I couldn't go to some of the places that I wanted to because of the cast on my arm. The trip went by so fast that it's like a dream. We want to go back again someday. The next time we'll fly in to Shannon and rent a car and probably stay on the West coast, as that was the part of the county that we liked best. The people are so friendly and really make you feel welcome. I just don't know how they can afford the prices for things. But I guess that's the way it is just about everywhere now. Ireland is a beautiful country. It looks a lot like Vermont in some places. Thanks again to all the nice people who helped me in the search for my roots!

Re: Transportation in Sligo

by orlikins Online Now May 8, 2007 at 3:39 AM

No problem - it is always nice to hear how trips like these go :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Sligo Travel Answer Locations