County Meath Travel Answers

change location
orlikins's Profile Photo

Ceist ar Ráth Cairn :-)

by orlikins Online Now May 1, 2006 at 4:26 AM

A couple of us are thinking of heading up to the Ráth Cairn Gaeltacht from Dublin next Saturday in preparation for our Oral Irish exam next Tuesday. (aaaah!!)

We are actually finding it pretty difficult to find any information at all about the place. From what I can see, it only a small little village out by Athboy, so OK, we're not expecting a big Gaeltacht metropolis like Spiddal ;-))

I know Ráth Cairn is a recognised Gaeltacht but if the only place where we can practise our Irish there is in some language school, then it would just be a waste of time going there.

Really, all I'm asking is whether it would be worth the trip, are we definitely likely to hear Gaeilge being spoken out in the street, in pubs/cafes in "real life"? Given us poor NUIM students' time/money constraints, not all of us can just head off to Connemara or Dingle for the whole weekend :(

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • dmrtn's Profile Photo

RE: Ceist ar Ráth Cairn :-)

by dmrtn Online Now May 2, 2006 at 1:17 PM

Ah my part of the world ;-)

Well i'm not a huge expert on this but the main reason i can imagine you would go to Rath Cairn is the pub. Its pretty big and they will speak irish to you if you do. but i'm not sure the area is large enough to warrant the words "street" or "cafe" if you know what i mean :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Ceist ar Ráth Cairn :-)

by orlikins Online Now May 3, 2006 at 2:07 AM

*lol* getcha! ;-) that's what i thought alright!

well, we were ag caint about it last night and we figured it would be more worthwhile to meet up in Maynooth and practise amongst ourselves instead. :)

O.

• dmrtn's Profile Photo

by dmrtn Online Now May 3, 2006 at 7:00 AM

one of the guys who lives in my house attends a class (more like a gathering of people than a strict class) somewhere on Harcourt st. once a week. I think the class is over but i can get some details for you if you'd like? I think they get together just to practice conversation.

by orlikins Online Now May 3, 2006 at 7:23 AM

Thanks hun - it sounds like he is going to Conradh na Gaeilge there on Harcourt st? I did a intermediate-level course there last year.

RE: RE: Ceist ar Ráth Cairn :-)http://forum.virtualtourist.com/WebObjects/VTForum.woa/12/wo/QaSawtd1

by orlikins Online Now Jan 28, 2007 at 2:15 PM

well... I went up there recently .... WHAT A BOGHOLE?!?!?!?!!! there isn't even a street. Or a shop. Or people. Very disappointing. Very poorly signposted. Unless you're doing a language course there, going to Rathcarn isn't worth your while.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Meath Travel Answer Locations