County Leitrim Travel Answers

change location
novillero's Profile Photo

One night in Leitrim in November

by novillero Online Now Jun 11, 2009 at 9:54 AM

I plan on visiting Leitrim during the first weekend in November. I am on a four night trip to Ireland with my father and brother and would like to visit Leitrim, as my g-g-grandmother was born in Mohill R.C. Parrish area.

Any recommendations for food/pubs, lodging, interesting spots to visit, particularly in the Mohill area? Right now, I think the day of the visit would be on a Sunday - or would anyone suggest against that?

p.s. I am trying to figure out the town of my ancestor, but this may take some time. I hope to figure it out before the trip, but one never knows. I'd at least like to see the area if nothing else.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: One night in Leitrim in November

by SalthillGuy Online Now Jun 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Hi, Leitrim is a lovely county. Not always appreciated by Irish people.
    This site has all of the attraction in Leitrim - http://www.leitrimtourism.com/
    Given the short time, I would suggest Glencar Waterfall is a must.
    A stroll around Carrick on Shannon by the Shannon River is also great.

This link has a good selection of accommodation leitrimhotels.ebookireland.c...
    Carrick on Shannon is probably the best place to stay.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • owensyb's Profile Photo

Re: One night in Leitrim in November

by owensyb Online Now Jul 3, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Hi check out www.mohill.com - it has lots to offer, even a link to the mohill parish website which may help you find info on your ancestors. Another very good site is goireland.com/leitrim/mohill... for accommodation in the area. Having just come back from Leitrim [passing through en route west to east] I would recommend that you take time to visit the arigna mining experience. It was about a 15 min drive from Carrick on Shannon [where we stayed] and it is a truly great and educational experience. You are taken by an ex miner down into the mines and shown what life was like for those men who worked there. Our guide was Maurice and he was fantastic. My two girls thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It is possible that some of your ancestors also worked in the mining industry - so it might be a valuable experience. The Arigna Mining Experience has its own website at www.arignaminingexperience.ie. As you are only in the area for a day this tour only takes about 45 minutes - so and hour and a half all told. There is also an Original Miners cottage which can be booked as self catering accommodation at the Arigna mining valley - check it out with Arigna Mining Experience.
    [The views over 4 counties from here are breathtakingly stunning and is well worth a visit even if you never went down the mine]. This is just one of many activities in the area but it was 1 that we found very very intersting and we would highly recommend it. The whole experience has been set up by the local community and is community run. Good luck with your trip and hope you find lots of interesting facts about your ancestors.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Leitrim Travel Answer Locations