County Kilkenny Travel Answers

change location

Live in Kilkenny

by FOS Online Now Feb 22, 2005 at 3:03 PM

Hello, I'm from Spain and I'm living in Limerick and studyng in the university. I'll finish in 3 weeks and I'm thinkind in move to kilkenny for 2 months. My idea is to improve my english so I don't want to be around spanish (thing that is impossible here). Do you know if Kilkenny is full of apanisk too? It could be easy to find a room near the centre? thanks a lot.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Re: Live in Kilkenny

by FOS Online Now Feb 21, 2005 at 4:44 AM

apanisk =spanish.....sorry

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kulprit's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Live in Kilkenny

by Kulprit Online Now Feb 21, 2005 at 4:23 PM

I just know that I'm asking for trouble from fellow Irish VTers in saying this but, here goes. I think that it's really important that you find somewhere to stay which has a fairly neutral accent. I have a friend from Drogheda with quite a particular accent. She went to Tenerife to teach English a few years ago. Recently she returned with some of her students. I was both amused and horrified to find that they were speaking English with a really strong Drogheda accent. Just as the most correct Spanish is said to be spoken in a specific region as is the most correct Italian in Toscana, the most correct English in the world is said to be spoken in parts of Dublin. Is your decision not to spend your remaining time in the capital financial or is it that you don't have the will power to stay away from other Spanish people. Dublin's main library, at the Ilac centre, has an intercambio each night of the week for a different language. Spanish is either Monday or Tuesday from 6pm to 8pm. It's a great opportunity to meet Irish people who are trying to get to grips with your language and perhaps form an agreement where you'll help each other out. Best of luck with the remainder of your stay here, whatever you decide.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

by orlikins Online Now Feb 22, 2005 at 1:53 AM

Kulprit - I totally disagree with you - LOADS of Spanish students come to Dublin, this is exactly the kind of situation the asker wants to avoid. Also, from a practical point of view, it is a lot easier to move to a small town, where you can save more money, get a job pretty quickly and rent a place a lot more cheaply than in the capital. Besides, Dublin is only 70 miles away if you want to go there for the weekend. Going to a small town for a few months is the best way of learning a language - I know this from personal experience and from my line of work. The Kilkenny accent is not that strong compared to the Dublin or Cork accents. It'll take a week or two to get used to the flat accent, compared to the high sing-song accent of Limerick city, but it'll be fine. There won't be much Spanish people there for the summer. There are quite a few Americans and Germans there, i've noticed. But Kilkenny is a good town to stay in for the summers, with various festivals etc. Orla

• Kulprit's Profile Photo

by Kulprit Online Now Feb 22, 2005 at 4:18 AM

Orla, As you are speaking from experience and I merely from supposition I bow to your superior knowledge. What you say appears to make perfect sense. :-)

by orlikins Online Now Feb 22, 2005 at 4:23 AM

thank you. All hail me :) Orla

• Re: Re: Live in Kilkenny

by FOS Online Now Feb 22, 2005 at 9:25 AM

Thanks but Dublin is really expensive for me, and I don't want to go 5-10 km to the city centre that there aren't many things to do. Then, is really dificult to stay with irish people when there are a lot of persons that speak my lenguage. I don't know any people in Kilkenny and Dublin and is easier to make new friend with persons who I can speak completly fluently (and Dublin is full of spanish). Here in Limerick I have meet with people who want to improve their spanish and at the end just wanted that I did their spanish homework so I'm a litle feed up with this kind of meetings. And then, I'm sure that my spanish accent will be always with me if I stay in dublin, Kilkenny or in a small town of kerry.... But thank you anyway.... Maybe I will stay in Limerick centre, I don't know still. Orla,one question, do you know if behind the milk market (Mungret street) is a safe area to live in Limerick. thanks

by orlikins Online Now Feb 22, 2005 at 2:59 PM

Hi Fos, As regards accent, it is something you can work on, if you choose to. I know a few foreigners here in Dublin, whose English accent now has a good general Irish or even Dublin bias. I think it is a good thing to acquire a little accent, it enables fluency and integration into the community. For example, when I speak German, there are some Bavarian/Austrian words for things that are more natural for me to use than the Standard vocabulary. It is not wrong, just different. Same as if you went to the UK or USA. Kilkenny is a cool place, it is definitely not as big as Limerick, but it's nice. I really don't think you'll find too many Spaniards there, so you will have few distractions when perfecting your English. Had the same prob as you with freebie "teaching" , can totally sympathise. You have to be tough about it, if they don't like it, that is their problem - you came here to learn English (or Limerickese ;p ), not to teach Spanish. Behind the milk market is pretty central, but I wouldn't want to walk around there on my own at night, bit too close to Garryowen for my liking. How about somewhere up by Mulgrave St, Rhebogue, or Pennywell? Have you checked the Limerick Post?

by orlikins Online Now Feb 22, 2005 at 3:03 PM

Besides, now is the time to start making contacts with people from Kilkenny (you can post up on the college bulletin boards, there are plenty of Kilkenny students in Limerick and Mary I).

• RE: RE: Live in Kilkenny

by FOS Online Now Feb 24, 2005 at 3:59 AM

thank you, it is a good idea. I didn't think about look people from my university...
    At the end while I'm in the university I'll try to look for a flat and a job in limerick centre (it is the easiest option), if I get it I'll stay if not I'll move to kilkenny when I finish (but I'm going to finish some weeks later than I hoped).
    Today I have to look a room in Mulgrave street.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Kilkenny Travel Answer Locations