County Kilkenny Travel Answers

change location
Jvb802003's Profile Photo

Famous People

by Jvb802003 Online Now Oct 22, 2004 at 1:56 PM

Does anyone know any famous people from here? My greatgrandfather was born here and he deisgned the whitehouse. I was just wondering if there are any other famous people from here? By the way his name was James Hoban. Take Care jvb802003

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

Re: Famous People

by orlikins Online Now Oct 23, 2004 at 2:36 AM

depends on what you mean by famous....Kilkenny has a lot of well-known (within Ireland) sports players, nut they would not be internationally famous... it is not well-known that an irish man designed the White House... so he would not be famous here, unless you were a keen student of architecture. O.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Buckz's Profile Photo

Re: Famous People

by Buckz Online Now Oct 28, 2004 at 8:16 AM

Kilkenny has its share of revolutionaries, a few writers a lot of (famous in Ireland) sportsmen, and a scatter of other assorted Wunderkinder. "Ingenious Ireland" by Mary Mulvihill Lists the wonders of each county, Giving the famous, the almost famous, the should've been famous, and some of the not famous at all for each county. Also go on to LocalIreland.ie, or some of the irish tourist board sites, go to kilkenny, and you will find what you are looking for there. It was a man from Neighbouring Carlow who devised the collegiate system of elections used to pick an american president, so it is Carlow's fault George Dubya got in- they hang their heads in Shame.

• Jvb802003's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Famous People

by Jvb802003 Online Now Dec 17, 2004 at 12:45 PM

Thank you for the information. I did some research on him, and found out alot of information that I didn't know about my great grandfather.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Kilkenny Travel Answer Locations