County Donegal Travel Answers

change location

13 day Ireland Itinerary... does this look reasonable?

by Maricat2 Online Now Mar 11, 2007 at 2:25 PM

We will be flying into Dublin on July 19th (arriving at 6pm), and flying out of Shannon on Aug. 1st at 2pm.

Dublin, 1 night
Portrush, 2 nights (Antrim Coast and the Giants Causeway)
Donegal, 3 nights (Inishowen Peninsula, Letterkenny, Achill Island, Carrowmore)
Clifden, 3 nights (side trips to Galway, Aran Islands, Connemara)
Dingle, 3 nights
Bunratty, 1 night

Any recommendations for where to stay in Donegal? This is our first trip to Ireland, and I want to see as much as possible (of course!), but also not to spend our whole trip sitting in the car. I chose to head North from Dublin, instead of the 'typical' Southern route (Kilkenny, Kenmare, Cashel, etc) in hopes of avoiding some of the tourist hordes and getting to see more of the 'authentic' Ireland. :) I love finding out of the way places, and historic sites that don't have boothes seeling tourist knick knacks all around them.

Any feedback appreciated! Thanks!
Mari

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Caroline.N's Profile Photo

RE: 13 day Ireland Itinerary... does this look reasonable?

by Caroline.N Online Now Mar 11, 2007 at 2:37 PM

In Donegal there is a comfy hotel in Bundoran. It's a very nice location near the beach. The hotel is named the Great Northern hotel owned by Brian McEniff. I stayed there myself and found the dinner to be very good. I do think you will miss out by not seeing the West Cork coast. When in Dingle I recommend you take a day drive trip on the "Ring of Kerry". It will link you from Kerry to the Cork tourist town of Glengarrif. It's worth seeing. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lovestotravel01's Profile Photo

Re: 13 day Ireland Itinerary... does this look reasonable?

by lovestotravel01 Online Now Apr 21, 2007 at 5:24 PM

I don't know how close it is to where you will be, but I loved Moville. It is in County Donegal in the Inishowen Peninsula. It was definitely "non touristy" (many local pubs, everybody knows everybody).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Donegal Travel Answer Locations