County Clare Travel Answers

change location

itinerary help & festival info: Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Galway - Arran Island?

by xxDianaxx Online Now Sep 27, 2006 at 6:17 PM

Hello,

Ireland! I arrive in Shannon 1:45 p.m. Saturday, October 14.

I plan to attend a poetry festival in Limerick City the 18th & 19th or just the 19th. And I plan to attend a writers festival in Clonmel October 20, 21 and maybe the morning of the 22.

My return flight is Monday morning, from Shannon at 6:45 a.m.

I have a plane ticket and a car rental arranged.

My question/s. I have either four or five unscheduled days before the festivals, and I'd like to do the Ring of Kerry trip and maybe Galways. Also, I looking to find out if the boat to Arran Island will still be running when I am there.

First I'd like to know what kind of time I should allow. Is four days reasonable to do this? Do I need five? Is five not enough and do I need to limit my agenda, perhaps just to the Ring of Kerry?

Also, does anyone have any experience in attending Irish festivals? Do they bring crowds?

And this leads to my last question: Can I make B&B reservations as I go or do you think I need to book in advance?

Thank you for any information or suggestions or words of encouragement you may have.

Best regards,

xxDianaxx

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • WhispersWest's Profile Photo

RE: itinerary help & festival info: Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Galway - Arran Island?

by WhispersWest Online Now Sep 28, 2006 at 12:13 PM

Hello Again, Diana,

At this time of the year, you should be able to book a syou go. However, for weekend stays, it is always a good idea to book before hand. ESpecially since one of your weekends is during a Bank Holiday. Also, if you are looking for lodging in or near the town where the festival is held, booking will also be difficult as other attendees will be vying for lodging. The local Tourist Information Centre will usually have a Booking desk to assist you in securing lodging. They may charge a small fee, 3 Euro or so, but it can stave off frustration & aggravation.

As for the festivals, it depends on the time of year and the type of festival at hand, as to the size of the crowd. I have never been to either of the two which you will be attending. You would be better off, if contacting the festival promoters, to just ask how many people they had the previous year or are expecting this year.

As to your other questions, I believe I answered those for you on Michelle's Forum.

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
    Cowboy Craic

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular County Clare Travel Answer Locations