Costa Rica Travel Answers

change location

Where to go for a quick 4 night getaway to Costa Rica

by loughran Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Hi! I am planning a quick getaway with my husband. I was looking at Caribbean destination and then discovered Costa Rica is only an additional hour flight from Newark on a non-stop. We like adventure and have been wanting to go there ..... so, where can we go in Costa Rica for a short stint of adventure and short stint of relaxation not far from each other. Our budget is fairly open. We just don't have a lot of time.

Thanks for any insights. I really appreciate it!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • martensd's Profile Photo

Re: Where to go for a quick 4 night getaway to Costa Rica

by martensd Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Been a while since I was there, but there is plenty to do.
    We went white water rafting for two days in a rain forest. There are volcanoes and coffee plantations and beaches on the pacific side. The gulf side was not well developed at the time but I am sure that has changed now.
    It was alot of fun back in the day, heard it got rather expensive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

by blueskyjohn Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM

You really don't mention how much time you have. You will need to rent a car which is not a big deal. You can spend a few days in the mountain region and a few days at a beach. If the Beach is not a necessity, look into La Fortuna. Plenty of adventure to be had there from zip lining, hiking, horse back riding, mountain biking and of course an active volcano. Now the relaxing part. There are quite a few resorts with hot springs around Arenal Volcano. Sitting in a hot spring is the ultimate in relaxing. Through in a massage at the spa, what more can you ask for. Look into Tabacon Hot Springs, http://www.tabacon.com/. I stay at Los Lagos and never been disappointed, http://www.hotelloslagos.com/. Baldi Hot Spring is great as well, http://baldicostarica.com/

If going to the beach is a requirement and you have time, You can split time in either La Fortuna than drive to the west coast. In the short amount of time you imply, check into Samara because it is one of the easier beaches to get to fro San Jose. There are easier, like Manuel Antonio or Jaco but you will not get the relaxation you are looking for at those location. You will get that in Samara.

1 member found this helpful

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM

John, I believe the title of the post pretty well states that they only have 4 nights getaway - yes, not much time.
    We just returned 3 weeks ago and fully enjoyed ourselves - drove/traveled all throughout.

You can fly into San Jose and from there transfer to Tamarindo airport - very short flight away.
    Tamarindo is on the Caribbean side, beautiful beaches and you can book zip lining and other popular sports from there.
    Additionally, if you so prefer and only a 3- 4 hour drive from San Jose is Manuel Antonio - great beaches, again, zip lining (it's available all over Costa Rica) and whitewater rafting.

Good luck

Homer

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

by blueskyjohn Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Oops! Went right for the text, sorry. With only four days, I recommended selecting one location. The rest of my post stands. Hots springs and adventure. Or adventure first then soak in the hot springs with a nice cocktail.

Homer, maybe a typo, but Tamarindo is on the Pacific side not the Caribbean side.

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 5:22 AM

hahaha...uhm....Ooops back at you John!
    we're playing whoopsie ping pong. Of course it is - meant pacific.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM

I was there when they started poppingup guanacaste area for tourism, did some financing of AC units from Miami to supply the construction of hotels etc. It has become quite a bit of hit area now, on the Pacific, near punta arenas and jaco beaches is very nice.

Costa Rica tourism will tell you more now at the official site
    govisitcostarica.com/region/...

hope it helps

• starship's Profile Photo

by starship Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM

My preference would be to go to Arenal. As previously mentioned, this area offers terrific views of the volcano but there is also much adventure to be had here. Excellent ziplining, hiking, climbing, horseback riding, hot springs, and whitewater rafting are all available to drive to or can be booked as excursions. After an adventurous day, a soak in the hotsprings is delicious, followed by a nice dinner and finish by watching the clouds swirl around Arenal. La Fortuna is a decent town for a touch of sightseeing, eating or shopping for a change too.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Costa Rica Travel Answer Locations