Costa Rica Travel Answers

change location

Woman Traveling Alone

by hkoth001 Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 4:28 AM

My flight arrives in San Jose at 11:30pm. I need to meet friends in Tamarindo the next morning. What is the safest way to travel during the night? Also my Spanish is limited.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Re: Woman Traveling Alone

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 5:04 AM

You land in San Jose at 11:30pm and you want to drive to Tamarindo the same night? I don't think that is possible or recommended for a solo female traveler or really anyone. The rental car companies will be closed. You may try and find a shuttle service but this is a 3-4 hour drive and it would probably cost a lot. Because you have limited Spanish, it may be wise to wait until the following morning and rent a car. Your best bet is to find a good hotel near the airport. There is a nice Best Western right next to where the rental car facility. Best Western, General Canas Hwy KM3, San Jose, Costa Rica +506 2290 9300

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • starship's Profile Photo

by starship Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Have you thought about flying into or on to the airport in Liberia which is much closer to Tamarindo? If you look at a road map of Costa Rica, you will see that there is no "direct" or straight route from San Jose to Tamarindo. Also, blueskyjohn is absolutely right, driving from San Jose to Tamarindo at night for a solo woman with limited Spanish, no knowledge of the country or road system might seem adventurous but in fact could be disastrous! Please give more thought to your plans.

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Wow, having just returned from area, I agree with above.
    stay near hotel - we stayed at the Best Western John mentions and it was fantastic.
    I also agree about possibly flying into Liberia but even that is still a good ways away but much easier to travel to Tamarindo the following morning - only about 1 hour away.

Costa Rica, especially San Jose is NOT safe for a woman traveling alone at night!
    I wouldn't do it.

• bishikawa11's Profile Photo

by bishikawa11 Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Driving at night in Costa Rica is not safe for anyone, women aren't special in this regard. If you cannot change your flight, I strongly recommend spending the night in Alajuela (near the airport, there are several decent, and decently priced hotels) and head out in the morning.

If you must go at midnight, take a taxi, let a pro do the driving. Though this will likely cost more than a night in the hotel. Still cheaper than having emergency services retrieve your body from a mountainside and ship it home to your grieving relatives...

It is NOT only an hour from San Jose, more like 4 hours.

• MariaJ38's Profile Photo

by MariaJ38 Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Well the San Jose to Tamarindo at night for a abandoned woman with bound Spanish, no ability of the country or alley arrangement ability assume adventuresome but in actuality could be disastrous! Please accord added anticipation to your plans

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM

bishikawa11 wrote:
    It is NOT only an hour from San Jose, more like 4 hours.

I'm pretty sure Homer was refering to the time if you fly into Liberia then drive to Tamarindo being an hour or so.

• starship's Profile Photo

by starship Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM

MariaJ38 wrote:
    Well the San Jose to Tamarindo at night for a abandoned woman with bound Spanish, no ability of the country or alley arrangement ability assume adventuresome but in actuality could be disastrous! Please accord added anticipation to your plans

You basically copied my own response to the original question!

by Homanded Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Yes, thank you John, I was indeed referring to the Liberia - Tamarindo segment, I thought I had made that clear.
    Yes starship, i too noticed that it was practically copied verbatim.

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Starship - keep in mind duplication is the sincerest form of flattery! Wait...that's imitation, sorry ;-)

by Homanded Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM

HA! tell THAT to a woman who finds her nemesis wearing the exact gown at a wedding !!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Costa Rica Travel Answer Locations