Costa Rica Travel Answers

change location
ValB28's Profile Photo

Costa Rica 11 night trip

by ValB28 Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Planning an 11 day trip to Costa Rica at end of April - flying in and out of San Jose. Arriving 6AM in San Jose - going straight to Arenal - 3 nights there. Then to Flamingo Beach Resort in Guanacaste for 4 nights. We are renting a car. Question is - should we drive to Manuel Antonio and spend 3 nights there before heading back or any other suggestion after beach stay in Guanacaste?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Costa Rica 11 night trip

by grandmaR Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM

The only suggestion I would have is to turn your car in at the end of the Guanacaste section and fly to the east coast for a couple of days. The rain forests there are different from the ones on the west coast

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM

It would take about 5 hours to drive to Manuel Antonio from where your staying. Also, three days in M.A. Is too much. Consider taking an extra day and drive down the Guanacaste coast. There are some beautiful beaches and quaint little communities to spend one night. I have a travelogue very close to what your plan is although I don't go that far north, only had 7 days. "Winter break 2013" - Costa Rica Travelogue by blueskyjohn

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM

We did Costa Rica in December/January.
    We drove from San Jose - Arenal and stayed 3 nights
    Arenal - Monte Verde for 3 nights
    Monte Verde - Manuel Antonio 4 nights.
    We loved all three of these. Easy driving, good roads (contrary to everything we had been led to believe).

By the way, be prepared to pay high taxes and insurance on your vehicle. We weren't prepared for this and thought we'd gotten a pretty good deal on our rental car.
    Between taxes and insurance it ended up being over $400.00 more than we'd expected.
    Insurance is really recommended for Costa Rica.

• Re: Costa Rica 11 night trip

by Lucyza Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Manuel Antonio is beautiful (although I can't compare to another beach area since it's only the beach area we have been to in CR). With that said, I'm not sure it is all worth it for you to go all the way down to that area. It has wildlife ( Arenal has the same- monkeys, sloths, lizards, etc if you go to their forest area), beautiful beach, but you are already going to Flamingo beach (I would think not much different), besides, the best beach in MA is inside MANP, you have to pay and hike in everytime. If I were you I would go somewhere with a different experience like the cloud forest or Carribean side, or inland.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Costa Rica Travel Answer Locations