Costa Rica Travel Answers

change location
carlyhylton's Profile Photo

Purchasing a car... completely unrealistic?

by carlyhylton Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Hola,

I am a Canadian undergraduate student and will be going to study abroad in Costa Rica over the summer at the Universidad Veritas in San José.

My boyfriend will be joining me for a month so we are looking to rent a house for the month of May. This doesn't seem to be a problem and we've found several options.

HOWEVER... as our preference seems to be swaying towards properties outside the city with poor public transportation options...

Is it completely unrealistic to entertain the idea of purchasing a car to use over the summer?!

I've done some research and it seems that in the classified ads a cheap car would go for about $2000.... then we would need to get an RMV inspection, get car insurance....

I've found some basic information but I can't seem to get a complete picture of the process and costs...

Does anyone have any insight?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Re: Purchasing a car... completely unrealistic?

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 3:59 PM

It sounds like you only need a car for one month when your boyfriend visits? If you are looking for a car in the 2000 range, you might just consider renting a car for a month. Will be cheaper and a lot less headaches if it breaks down. You also don't have to worry about resale.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • carlyhylton's Profile Photo

Re: Purchasing a car... completely unrealistic?

by carlyhylton Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Thank you!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Costa Rica Travel Answer Locations