Costa Rica Travel Answers

change location
giampiero6's Profile Photo

Tabacon

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Has anyone been to Tabacon recently? Have they done further construction or additions.

Any alternatives to Tabacon that don't have the cheesy restaurant and swim up bar?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: Tabacon

by Homanded Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM

G., we were just in Tabacon 1st of the year. Several things to note - OVER priced, over touristy, CROWDED! Even locals boycott the place for several reasons, main one being that is is foreign owned and they neither pour money back into the community nor pay their employees a particularly high wage.

We had this from about 3 different sources including a driver, our hotel employee/bellman who had no interest other than being a local, and a guide in Arenal's swinging bridges.

There are two newer hotels/hot springs just up the road and on same side as Tabacon (don't have name but you can't miss them) which are reputed to be much nicer with less crowds and same water source as Tabacon.

If you are looking for a good hotel I cannot recommend the Arenal Manoa hotel enough. Beautiful property, not overly priced, GREAT food, grounds and direct view to volcano from every room.

Homer

4 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

by blueskyjohn Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM

If you want to avoid the cheesy swim up bar, Los Lagos has several smaller, secluded hot spring pools. They do have the cheesy bar but if you walk up the path a bit you will come to a series of smaller, more private pools. Los Lagos also has beautiful grounds, a great restaurant and you do not have to being staying there to experience this. I am not sure of the price since I've always stayed there but day access is available.

2 members found this helpful

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Hi Guys...both great advice! I really loved the water, stream, cold water and massage in palapas in the forest at Tabacon, but the awful pool and restaurant really brought it down for me.

I would love a place that is Tabacon, except more like a spa than a 3 star mass tourism resort tacked on to it...

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

G., Hotel Manoa is very large however, the grounds are so spacious that you hardly see anyone other than perhaps during dining. The grounds/gardens are so large that they will send a golf cart to transport you between room and dining if you desire but we found walking along the river and gardens quite serene. The spa is outrageous, tucked down on the hillside down a well paved path and between bamboo and heliconias over a foot bridge - all the while while listening to the river and small water fall.

Lastly, they have a pool with a small water feature - it is drained nightly. The water comes directly from the hot springs in Tabacon.

1 member found this helpful

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Cool...thank you! I will check it out!

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Sorry to hijack but G, have you noticed the value of VT lately ;-))

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Everyday, Sir. Every day.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Costa Rica Travel Answer Locations