Costa Rica Travel Answers

change location
roamer61's Profile Photo

When to go?

by roamer61 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I am planning to do a trip for the purpose of bird-watching in 2014. But, I can not go during what traditionally is the dry season, January-March/April as its too soon following my European trip this year. So, what would be the next best time?

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: When to go?

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 8:10 AM

It's tough. The "green" season (aka rainy season) is May to November. With the heavy months being May/June and Sept/Oct. July/August are too hot. December is super crowded with Christmas holidayers. You can't go Jan-April.

That leaves November.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • roamer61's Profile Photo

by roamer61 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Published sources say there is a lull late July-early August. Ticos is the term I think I saw. Also, Christmas is late December, that month, it would be beginning of the month that I would go, if waiting until then.

So I think it would be either during the lull or early December.

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Tico is a colloquial term for a native of Costa Rica. It's like saying someone from the US is a Yankee or someone from Canada is a Canuck.

Yes, there is a lull in July and August as the humidity can be nasty and not pleasant to travel in. Keep in mind, even though Christmas itself is December 25th, many school aged folks actually get out of school in mid-December. This includes college kids which frequent Costa Rica.

by roamer61 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM

No worry. Most college kids btw do come to Costa Rica. They go to the islands or places like Cancun in Mexico. They go to the beaches. I would go before mid December also. And I intend to travel to go bird-watching, so those so-called college kids are absent.

Heat and humidity is expected. It is after all, Summer. Also most birding is done early and towards dusk, the least problematic times of the day. Heat and humidity is most pronounced during the peak of the day, between 1:00pm and 2:00pm, when the sun is highest.

Your comment talking about the heat and humidity and not nice to travel and the likes, that sounds like a personal thing. Everyone is different.

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

So, you ask when to go, already knowing when you want to go, then reject ideas given. Opinions are asked for, then they are dismissed. Somehow becuase i don't like travelling in high heat and humity, it's not a valid opinion. That's kind of what a recommendation is based on, personal opinion and experience. So, what was the point of the original question?

You speak of a "lull" in July and August. Unfortunately, this is not entirely accurate, as the lull is mostly August. The busiest months for tourism are as follows: January, March, December, February then July. Regional tourism is high, not to mention Tico domestic tourism.

visitcostarica.com/ict/pdf/a...

And for college aged kids not going to Costa Rica, i'm afraid that's not accurate either. Also, Costa Rica is not famous for it's islands, but it's beaches and forest/national parks. Once you actually go to the country, instead of just speculate, you will quickly notice that 20-25 y.o. are highly representative. Sure, Costa Rica's 2,200,000 annual visitors can't compare to Mexico's 23,000,000, but Mexico is also 40 times the size of Costa Rica with 25 times the population.

But i digress. It would seem you already know when you want to go. Enjoy.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

by blueskyjohn Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM

My experience in the time of year really depends on where in the country you plan on spending time bird watching. If it is near the pacific coast, yes, June, July and August will have rain showers in the afternoon and occasionally most of the day. However, my experience has been the opposite in the mountains. They tend to be clearer more often in June, July and August than the coast (but still rain in the afternoon).As for college students going to Costa Rica, yes they do. I should know because I take a group every year for the past 7 years. However, it is a different type of college student that is going. Costa Rica does not have the party atmosphere as most islands in the Caribbean or Cancun. The college kids that want to party, pick a party place. Those that want to experience nature, surf and relax go to Costa Rica. Don't let this deter your decision when and where to go.Good luck and have a great trip!

1 member found this helpful

by roamer61 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Thanks John.

Fluffy, I want to compare what the writers of the guidebooks say with people here in VT. Also, personal opinions are somewhat diluted because everybody is different. I know of people who love it when the temps soar up to 90F. More straight forward info is really what I was looking for. And the guides all say as well as some places online, there is sort of a summer lull in July/August.

As for college kids, I can only speak for those here in the USA. And by experience (I have 4 nieces and a half-brother 20 years younger than me). Also, from official reports and surveys. Spring Break and other times, they head to the islands, the resorts of Cancun and Cozumel and other party towns. It may be different with those from other countries though.

by roamer61 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

John, will be Selve Verde and someplace else, which is yet to be chosen. Possibly Arenal, possibly the region near the border with Panama.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

by blueskyjohn Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Sounds like a great trip. But Selva Verde Lodge to the border of Panama is quite a trek! I've seen my fair share of Toucan's in Arenal/La Fortuna, but that probably doesn't impress an experienced bird watcher. I'm always excited when I see one though.

If you don't want to travel that far south near Panama, you may want to look into Monteverde. Definitely less people around than Arenal and some really good canopy bridges at Selvatura Park, http://www.selvatura.com/

by roamer61 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:29 AM

John, I may also opt got the Pacific and go to Cararra to see the Macaws.

by roamer61 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Cant do that casa. I have a number of target birds and to get them, I have to go where i have planned.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Costa Rica Travel Answer Locations