Cortina d'Ampezzo Travel Answers

change location
andywing's Profile Photo

Travelling to Cortina

by andywing Online Now Oct 30, 2003 at 3:19 AM

I'm travelling to Cortina in February and have no idea how to get there I know that there is an airport at Fiames but no-one appears to fly there Venice looks the best place to fly to (87 miles away), but can anyone tell me how to get from the airport to Cortina please? I didn't really want to hire a car Any help appreciated Best wishes Andy

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • hmoitta's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling to Cortina

by hmoitta Online Now Oct 30, 2003 at 6:42 AM

We went by train until Calalzo where we took a connecting bus to Cortina. Check schedules in trenitalia.it/home/it/index.... and http://www.dolomitibus.it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • effeti's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Travelling to Cortina

by effeti Online Now Oct 30, 2003 at 7:09 AM

Hmoitta is right. That's the best way. I can add you better go from the Venice airport to Mestre-Venezia railway station by direct bus. see the airport site for details. There is also an airport in Treviso (a little nearer): chech your best connection. Ciao Francesco

• andywing's Profile Photo

Thank You

by andywing Online Now Oct 30, 2003 at 8:30 AM

Many thanks, that's just what I needed to know. Looking forward to going! Best wishes, Andy.

• Re: Travelling to Cortina

by HouryDej Online Now Nov 4, 2007 at 7:09 PM

It depends on where you fly in from. Your best option, with many low-cost air carriers going there, is Venice Marco Polo Airport.Innsbruck is a hassle to get to Cortina from, because of the Brenner- mountain pass tunnel, and the windy roads thereafter.
    There is no train service directly to Cortina. The train- line starts at Venezia Santa Lucia and the last stop is at Calazo,from where you can connect to Cortina by bus or taxi.
    Alternatively take the bus from Belluno to Cortina, but it takes ages, and doesn't go very often, so you only end up wasting time at the draughty bus- stop in freezing Feb. I've never taken the bus and don't intend to. www.dolomitibus. com, org or it.Tel.: +39 0437 217111.

Anyway, check www.dolomiti.it for " How to get there"-info.

A better option, with a travelling time of approx. 2 hrs in the winter, might be with a taxi- transfer service. Check out any of these to compare prices:
    www.TaxiCortina.com / www.taxiame.com / www.cortinataxi.org/ www.taxicortinaski.it/ www.taxidolomiti.it / www.transferdolomiti.it
    Considering that Venice is approx. 90 miles away, the transfer costs to Cortina, at approx. 35- 45 Euros per head, are not exorbitant, and you travel in comfort.

If you need to purchase food upon arrival in central Cortina, you need to aim to arrive before the "Cooperativa di Cortina"'s closing time at 7.30 pm. It is a small dept store with a decent supermarket at raised ground floor level, located on the main pedestrian street called " Corso Italia". You'll also find a Herald Tribune there for your daily English- language news-fix, and numerous other practical things. These are more reasonably priced than the string of chic and somewhat impractical boutiques on the same road.

Once in Cortina, there is a local bus- service to and from various outskirts of Cortina, which many skiers use to get to the different lifts.

For info on ski- equipment rental, go to www.dolomiti.org.

Good luck, best regards
    HD

• Re: Travelling to Cortina

by HouryDej Online Now Nov 4, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Ooops, sorry ! I just realised my answer to the above query is approx. 4 yrs late!!! Perhaps another reader might find my taxi- service info helpful at some point. Regards, HD

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cortina d'Ampezzo