Cortina d'Ampezzo Travel Answers

change location

Venice to Cortina

by inferno2k13 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

We are planning a trip from Venice to Cortina to Bolzano on March 30.
Are there any guided bus/car tour available which will start from Venice and drop us off at Bolzano?
Or is this trip do-able with public transport?
Appreciate any help!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • giampiero6's Profile Photo

Re: Venice to Cortina

by giampiero6 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Hi. Very doable by public transit. These are major destinations and you'll have no problem getting bus connections for sure....(not positive about trains)

If you're comfortable driving, you might consider that as it's beautiful countryside and you'll be abel to wander a bit...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • domenicococozza's Profile Photo

by domenicococozza Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

This is doable but not quite as easy as it seems.
    There is a bus service departing Marco Polo Airport on 30th March at 11.15am. This is a direct service to Cortina, and tickets can be purchased on the public arrivals concourse in the airport.
    This service is operated by Dolomiti Express.
    You will have about an hour in Cortina, then you will need to catch the bus from the main bus station to Toblach.
    From Toblach you will then need to change buses for Franzesfeste train station. From here, you can get a train to Bolzano.

1 member found this helpful

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Trains will be a bit of a problem. Venice to Cortina doesn't actually go to Cortina, but to Calazo-Pieve di Caldore-Cortina station in Calalzo di Cadore...which is a good 40 kilometer bus ride from Cortina, if I'm viewing the map correctly. And there are no direct trains from Venice to Calazo-Pieve di Caldore-Cortina station anyway - you have to change at least once and sometimes twice.

Of course, you'll have the same problem Cortina to Bolzano. Even though Bolzano is practically due west of Cortina, all the rail solutions have you going back to the east and south to avoid the mountains between Cortina and Bolzano.

I have to believe that buses will be a better solution, more likely to give you a direct routing - or just drive, as Giampiero noted).

Perhaps Dom will stop by and throw in his 2 cents' worth...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Oh, Dom, there you are!

Bill

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Here's the timetable for the bus from Marco Polo:

cortinaexpress.it/res/downlo...

There may well be a bus to Cortina from Venice itself but the ATVO bus website is down at the moment. Try www.atvo.it later.

The nearest railway station to Cortina is Calalzo di Cadore, about 35km away, so train for that segment isn't really feasible.

I'm not aware of any tours from Venice which would meet your needs though it is always possible to hire a car + driver/guide (at a price, of course).

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

P.S. Be aware that towns around Bolzano have 2 names. German and Italianized and sometimes they are not similar. Toblach = Dobbiaco Sterzing = Vipiteno.

• Re: Venice to Cortina

by eryxman Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM

inferno2k13 wrote:
    We are planning a trip from Venice to Cortina to Bolzano on March 30. Are there any guided bus/car tour available which will start from Venice and drop us off at Bolzano? Or is this trip do-able with public transport? Appreciate any help!

Sorry, but I've never been to Cortina or Bolzano, but I'm sure there is public transportation and/or tours from the Veneto region to Bolzano.  You may be able to take the train to one or both of those destinations.  Check out Trenitalia. 

by domenicococozza Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Following on from my previous answer, Leics is correct in saying there is a bus service from Venice proper, which operates on weekends only. On 30th March, there is a bus leaving Piazaale Roma at 7.15 am, getting into Cortina at around 10.30am
    The first stop in Cortina is at the Dolomiti Hotel, then the bus has to make a circuit of the one way system to arrive at the main bus station.
    atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Lin...

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Glad the ATVO site is up and running again! I suspected there would be some sort of service from Venice proper, albeit limited.

For the Cortina>Bolzano segment there is also a routing via Dobbiaco and Fortezza which takes almost 3 hours, with two changes of bus/train. Info here:

sad.it/index.php?page=fahrpl...

This routing might give you the chance to stay longer in Cortina, should you wish.

by domenicococozza Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Hi Leics,
    This is the same route as I suggested earlier.
    Dobbiaco is the Italian name for Toblach.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I do apologise, Dom.

I think I must have been half-asleep when I wrote that. :-(

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cortina d'Ampezzo