Corpus Christi Travel Answers

change location

Where should we go??

by krogarcia Online Now Jul 18, 2007 at 9:57 AM

We are going to CC in late August. We have booked our room at the Best Western Grand Marina Hotel. I've been on tons of sites that show all the same tourist places to visit. But we will be there for five days and want to know of any places to visit or eat or shop at that arent listed. We have a 2 year old so anywhere we go has to be 'kid friendly'. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • monicarc's Profile Photo

Re: Where should we go??

by monicarc Online Now Jul 23, 2007 at 7:30 PM

5 days is a VERY LONG TIME to be in corpus---its a very small town with not much to do---i'd recommend actually perhaps driving down to the border (about 2 1/2 hour drive) and you could atleast cross into mexico, that is interesting. I guess you must like fishing, b/c that is what people generally do there in corpus. the beaches there are just ok---south padre island, also by the border w/mexico, is much nicer and more popular.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Where should we go??

by obdigobin Online Now Jul 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM

I totally disagree with the previous comment about going into Mexico. Although going to Progresso for a day of shopping might be fun (when the humidity is not completely through the roof), I would NEVER do that with a child! Mexican border towns are NOT safe right now. Mexican militia & tanks as a presence to maintain the peace should be a HUGE indication. This is one place not to go right now.

Corpus in general comes across, I think, as a decent place for a short-term tourist & does have a smaller town feel (though is a decently small-sized city). It is not a generally safe city, however. So, stick to the "tourist traps" where tourists are okay. That, along with the fact that Corpus truly is not that exciting a place, is why you're being recommended the same things over & over.

The hotel you're staying in will show a terrific view of the Harbor area, which will be nice. There are a few things to do down there & a few nice restaurants. Being a shorter stay, you can probably occupy yourself mostly with things to do in that area & head to the beach (on Padre Island) too. The coolest thing about CC is that you can still drive on the beach here... rare these days. Rent a car (convertible preferably) & drive the shoreline, go to Padre Island, & drive down onto the sand. Makes for a nice family night. Several people build bonfires & stay into the evening too. You see a beautiful sky with lots of stars at night & it's an amazing sunrise! You might even see some baby sea turtles migrating...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Corpus Christi