Corpus Christi Travel Answers

change location

Might move to Corpus Christi, TX

by 2Dgulf Online Now Jan 7, 2006 at 10:51 AM

I live in NH but I'm definitely moving to a sunny Gulf location within a year. Corpus Christi looks great on the Net so I'm goin' down next August to look around. Any inside scoops about visiting there? Living there?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • wasserball's Profile Photo

RE: Might move to Corpus Christi, TX

by wasserball Online Now Jan 7, 2006 at 8:31 PM

The coast of TX is nothing to write home about, with the exception of South Padre Island, but it still can't compare to the panhandle of FL. Please don't think you are moving to paradise. Visit the area first.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • monicarc's Profile Photo

by monicarc Online Now Jan 9, 2006 at 7:22 PM

I am a native Texan (Houstonian) and my dad's whole family is from corpus and its the most boring place on Earth. galveston, near houston, probably gives it a run for its money and galveston is defintely nothing to write home about to begin with. However, you like a small town atmosphere, I guess you might like corpus. Corpus is not even remotely a charming, seaside type of place like there is in the northeast--its more like a small town in the south with a beach.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Jan 12, 2006 at 9:37 AM

I've always liked Corpus. Something very quirky about it. The Downtown area is somewhat active, with bars and restaurants and some touristy stuff on the bay, there's this strange, nearly-abandoned port/warehouse area, and there is actually a nice aquarium with dolphins. They're also the hq of Whataburger and home to the largest one in the country (maybe the world, two stories).
    Just an odd place, but a fairly small city so you don't have a lot of city problems, but it still has an impressive freeway system and quite a few city conveniences.
    The economy here is awful though, and the job market sucks. Lots of shipping activity and a few chemical plants and oil refineries (notice the exit on I-37 for "Corn Products Road"). I don't know what the demos are, but I always got the impression that it had a very large Hispanic population.
    North Padre Island is sort of the butt of the Gulf: it's in a position where all of the trash from oil rigs, fishing boats, barges, etc. from the whole Gulf gets ciphened and dumped on this beach. It's one of the nicer beaches in TX (it's a national seashore), but the trash makes it a little ugly. I slept in my car on the beach here one night and was innundated with mosquitos (when the wind doesn't blow, the mosquitos swarm), but awoke to one of the most beautiful sunrises I've ever seen. Port Aransas is also pretty nice though, but is PACKED with college kids during Spring Break and other vacation times and is a lot more developed.

Hope that helps.

• Wingshot's Profile Photo

by Wingshot Online Now Jan 26, 2006 at 1:54 PM

I'm not a big fan of Corpus, but I do like some of the other small towns nearby, namely Rockport. The Texas Gulf coast isn't Florida....the way the rivers & gulf stream flow our water is pretty murky near the shore. The beach sand is golden as opposed to white.

However, the area hasn't been hit by a major hurricane since the 60's....for some reason they tend to veer south or north. The area also has some world-class duck hunting, and the fishing is excellent. (Redfish & trout)

Prices are not high right now, but they are going up rapidly.

• Re: Might move to Corpus Christi, TX

by waverider78411 Online Now Apr 13, 2007 at 8:49 PM

do not move to corpus christi,ive lived here 41 years,iam 44 yaers old,an avid fisherman surfer,naturlist,etc etc,it will be the worst thing you could do iam moving from here to kentucky,the mexicans here are rude and violent and the city leaders have their heads so far up their asses its sick,corpus is dirty the streets are bad and the people are the dumbest drivers in the country and it1s the worst city in the country #5 out of 100 all according to mens health magazine,please help us,or stay away

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Corpus Christi