Cornwall Travel Answers

change location

self catering accomodation & hiking

by arnyt2 Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM

can anyone recommend where in cornwall would be suitable for hiking. unfortunately due to health reasons arent able to travel to our usual Bernese Oberland boo hoo. Also any suitable s.c apartments/cottages

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Ash59's Profile Photo

Re: self catering accomodation & hiking

by Ash59 Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Hi

For walking, the South West coast path runs from Minehead in Somerset down the north coast of Devon and Cornwall, then back along the south coast, all the way along to Poole in Dorset. The views on parts the coast path in Cornwall are spectacular. I am not a long distance walker but have visited bits and pieces over the years. The parts that I personally like are Godrevey island to Hells Mouth area (lovely cafe) along with Botalack mine area on the north coast, along with the Lizard Peninsular on the south. Good luck in whatever you decide on.

Andy

3 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Not sure what you mean by 'hiking'..long-distance with different stops overnight or daily walks from a base? Cornwall has plenty of options for both.

If you don't want to do the coast path or the long-distance Dartmoor walks I suggest a base somewhere on Dartmoor itself. Or, if you are happy to drive or take a bus to the start of your walk and make circular walks, almost anywhere in the peninsula. It's a lovely area with good walking easily accessible and a wealth of beautiful scenery and historical sites.

For self-catering accomm look at the official Cornwall tourist info site, which lists it all:

visitcornwall.com/accommodat...

You'll find loads of info here:

http://www.southwestcoastpath.com/

and here (with walks to download):

walkingincornwall.info/index...

and here (for Dartmoor):

http://www.southwestcoastpath.com/

If it were me (with a car) I'd look for a fairly isolated cottage somewhere on the edge of Dartmoor which would give me the option of either long-distance walks across the moor itself or walks in other areas accessible by car. But it's really up to you....:-)

2 members found this helpful

• tobytyke's Profile Photo

by tobytyke Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Hi not sure about where in Cornwall you are looking to walk/hike, but where I live in west cornwall there are loads of short walks from 4 to 8/10miles, like Ash said around Godrevy is good, Helston and looe bar around Porthleven there are some good walks, as long as you have a car to get to all the walks, with public transport it will be very difficult !!! If you are looking for accomodation you will save money by staying away from places like St Ives, St Ives is nice to visit, but it tends to be busy and not the best place to drive through, you will get better value staying in towns like Hayle/Camborne not as pretty but cheaper to stay, good luck Allan

1 member found this helpful

• Re: self catering accomodation & hiking

by arnyt2 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Be the first to rate this answer!

by arnyt2 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM

thanks allan. Will certainly look into what you recommend. Dont wont to stay anywhere to commercial. have enough of that living within short distance of the lake district

• RogerLB's Profile Photo

by RogerLB Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Hi - I have just returned from a walk down around the Lizard in Cornwall. (See my latest item on things to do in Cornwall) - Ther Halzephron Inn at Gunwalloe has two letting rooms and the food is great. Gunwalloe is a good base to explore deeper into the Lizard and is on the South West Coastal path walk. Heading south into the Lizard can be a bit up hill down dale in some areas but if you head in the opposite direction, a few miles away is the Loe Pool, there is a flat walk around the pool of about 5 miles on a footpath. Great for watching the wildlife. Not far away is Goonhilly with paths leading all over. Its flat and, again quite a bit of wildlife if you walk around quietly. A car trip of 30 minutes can take you to Hayle where a walk around Godrevy point gives a good close up view of the lighthouse and a little further around with a peer over the cliffs you can see one of Cornwalls wild seal colonies. There are many other walks around the area and I sure that you can get plenty of advice from the locals in any area you visit as to the length, time and difficulties on any local walks. If I can be of any help please drop me a note.
    Roger

1 member found this helpful

• by arnyt2 Online Now May 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

sorry for the delay in replying but will take your advice. many thanks

by annamariearu Online Now Jun 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Hi

Agree with ash. It would be a good walk in there. Regarding accommodation, if you are going for summer, it could be worth it if you avail promos. I've tried blue chip holidays and it's indeed a good stay with my family. You check promos on there site here http://www.bluechipholidays.co.uk/

Hope you'll enjoy!

• MelanieH's Profile Photo

by MelanieH Online Now Jan 4, 2014 at 2:51 AM

We have just booked a cottage for this July through cornwallholidayhomerentals.c...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cornwall Travel Answer Locations