Corniglia Travel Answers

change location

Guvano Beach

by ARyan86 Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I am planing a trip to the Cinque Terre in June. My question is about Guvano, the (from what I read) "clothing optional" beach. I am going on this trip with a beach-lover and I read this beach is less touristy so I think it would be great to check out. Plus our hostel is in Corniglia. However, I am not comfortable going without a swimsuit. Honestly, I will probably even be self-conscious in a swimsuit. Am I going to be the only clothed person there? I've heard this beach called a clothing optional as well as a nude beach.

Thank you for the help:)

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • EllenH's Profile Photo

Re: Guvano Beach

by EllenH Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM

We hiked by above in November and obviously no one was there but it did seem obvious that was that beach, it looked like quite a hike to get there. In June, if everyone else was nude I suppose you would stand out more in your bathing suit and I think you would see that no one really cares. Check it out and if you feel awkward then do not stay, pretty easy. The cinque terre is a most amazing place (in November anyway) I understand tourists are heavy in the summer, but I LOVE it in the fall, been three times.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Guvano Beach

by ARyan86 Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I'm so interested to here that you think it is beautiful in the Fall. Generally, I would prefer to travel in the Fall if I could (my favorite season), but I wouldn't have considered the Cinque Terre for the off season.

Thanks for the advice!!!!

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

by swissfondue Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I can second the recommendation about travelling to the Cinque Terre out of the peak summer season.

I did the hikes a couple of years ago in the first week of November. The trails were peppered with hikers but in some places I only had the amazing scenery for company. When I set off at 9am it was coolish but the day warmed up to be simply gorgeous, not too hot but probably not warm enough to swim.

Having said all that I believe I was just lucky with the fantastic weather but I would imagine it is pretty hot in the height of summer. The nice thing about visiting in summer though is having the opportunity to travel between the villages by boat.

A lot of things were shut down for the winter season when I was there.

• EllenH's Profile Photo

by EllenH Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Glad you checked back in since you just joined, always a good thing. So, not much info about the nude beach but yea, hiking the trails without the crowds is a good thing and watching them harvest the olives was also quite cool. There is so much more to the cinque terra then the Guvano beach, there was a tunnel you had to go through to get to it, we do remember that.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines