Cork Travel Answers

change location
louiseanyon's Profile Photo

Sports in Cork

by louiseanyon Online Now Jan 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I am going on holiday to Cork for a week in February (10th - 17th) and I was wondering if there were any sporting events on at that time. I must admit I would like to see either some hurling or some Gaelic football, although I read somewhere that the hurling team were on strike due to management issues. Has this been resolved and if it has where would I go to watch a live match?

I would also be interested in knowing whether there is a New Age shop of some sort in Cork and where that may be too?
Thanks for any help
Louise

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Orion10101's Profile Photo

Re: Sports in Cork

by Orion10101 Online Now Jan 30, 2009 at 2:21 AM

For local GAA matches you are probably best going out into the countryside. Look for small towns/villages, local teams (minor and senior) play or train at both hurling and football usually about midday on Saturdays and Sundays. You might catch a challenge match one evening also. These matches are usually spread by word of mouth or in local papers; you need to know where to look and what you are looking for. Entry is either free or for a nominal amount, maybe about E5.

Perhaps your accommodation might be able to guide you re. locations?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • louiseanyon's Profile Photo

Re: Sports in Cork

by louiseanyon Online Now Jan 30, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. That was really helpful. Someone else referred me to the GAA website but very little is up-to-date and some of it's in Gaelic as well.

I figure that asking the owners of the Guest House I'm staying in will probably be the best option, but thanks for your suggestions too.
    Louise

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines