Corcovado National Park Travel Answers

change location

Need advice on level of challenge

by ns504 Online Now Jan 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Hi Folks.
We are planning a trip to Costa Rica in April of this year and would love to go off the beaten path to do some backpacking and hiking in Corcovado and also Tortuguero National Parks. I would not consider either of us as seasoned backpackers but have been recently (last year or so) been slowly rising to greater challenges (greater distance with more gear, etc.). I am hoping to do this as a sort of kick-off to my 50th year....am I being unrealistic? Any suggestions on what we should definitely not miss....we are planning on bringing our gear with us and would love to do some backpacking along the way. Thoughts anyone?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Need advice on level of challenge

by misskrys Online Now Jan 13, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Hi,

My friend and I are going to CR in Feb and are hoping to visit Corcovado.
    In Corcovado, there are basically 3 hikes into the main ranger station, Sirena, plus some hiking around the station. We just found out that the San Pedrillo to Sirena route is closed this dry season and the Los Patos to Sirena is closed until further notice. When it eventually opens, you will only be able to do it with a guide. That leaves the La Leona to Sirena route in and some trails around Sirena station. Other than that, no hiking allowed! Sort of sucks, but apparantly, some stupid people have been going without guides and getting lost or trapped.

krys

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Need advice on level of challenge

by misskrys Online Now Jan 13, 2010 at 3:02 PM

couple more things re corcovado:

i don;t think the la leona to sirena route is too hard.

camping is only allowed at ranger stations. there is dorm style accomodation at sirena available and reservations required for both well in advance.

There's a good website for info: www.corcovadoguide.com.
    krys

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Corcovado National Park