Corcovado National Park Travel Answers

change location
gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Corcovado Marzo

by gfinesilver Online Now Jan 9, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Hey all,
I am doing some trips to Costa Rica in March and will be hitting up the Osa Peninsula. My plan would be to get into Corcovado from Pto. Jimenez either via Carate or La Palma. Then hike to La Sirena, stay 2 nights probably, and hike out to San Pedrillo and continue onto one of the nice beach lodges on the Bahia Drake.

I would appreciate if you could answer any of these questions:
1) What is the best way from Jimenez to either Carate or La Palma?
2) Are guides easily acquirable in Jimenez or at the ranger stations and how far ahead do they need to be booked? And how much do they charge?
3) Can you camp anywhere in the park or only at the ranger stations and are there other lodging options within the park?
4) Can boats be chartered from La Sirena heading northwest towards Drake?
5) How physically/technically grueling is the hike out to Pedrillo?
6) Has anyone stayed at any of the lodges on the Drake bay and can you comment on your experiences?
7) What is a good local operator that can put together the whole thing?

Many thanks,
Gabriel

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Corcovado Marzo

by Kandace21 Online Now Feb 12, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Hey, best way to Carate from Jimenez is a collectivo taxi (basically a couple of benches in the back of a pick up). You can find them on the main streets in Pto. Jimenez. I would enter the park thru Carate because the beach walk is great and the beach spectacular. I would book a guide through the Nat'l park. That's all I've got for ya. Have fun.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Re: Corcovado Marzo

by gfinesilver Online Now Feb 12, 2009 at 11:27 AM

do you know how i would contact a guide from the national park?

thank you for your responses, i thought nobody was going to respond to this forum.

by Kandace21 Online Now Feb 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM

You could look it up online...or if you plan on staying a night in Jimenez, you will have found your own personal guide for a day or two within an hour of being in town, no joke. Or you could look up a travel/tour co. in Pto Jimenez and they will have someone for you. Sorry I never went in the park myself.

• gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Re: Corcovado Marzo

by gfinesilver Online Now Feb 12, 2009 at 2:22 PM

thanks mate. i figured it'd be quite easy to find guides. i've been in contact w/ quite a few anyway.

by misskrys Online Now Jan 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Hi,

My friend and I are going to CR in Feb and are hoping to visit Corcovado.
    We just found out that the San Pedrillo to Sirena route is closed this dry season and the Los Patos to Sirena is closed until further notice. When it eventually opens, you will only be able to do it with a guide. That leaves the La Leona to Sirena route in and some trails around Sirena station. Other than that, no hiking allowed! Sort of sucks, but apparantly, some stupid people have been going without guides and getting lost or trapped. We're probably going to arrange a tour from Drake Bay.

In reply to question #3 - camping only at ranger stations, dorm style at sirena available,reservations required well in advance

There's a good website for info: www.corcovadoguide.com. I'll stay tuned to this message and will provide more advice as I find it out.
    krys

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Corcovado National Park