Corcovado National Park Travel Answers

change location
SoniaGH's Profile Photo

camping in Corcovado

by SoniaGH Online Now Nov 15, 2003 at 10:03 AM

Hello, I'd like to know if somebody have camped in Corcovado ? any advises ? details ? how to find the place or how to reservate ?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • steven.t's Profile Photo

Re: camping in Corcovado

by steven.t Online Now Nov 17, 2004 at 3:42 AM

sonia. Hi! You can visit and camp within the park system 2 ways , from the north and from the south. I recomend the south via carate, this route is less exhausting, as the ranger stations are closer together. If you want to stay at Sirena the largest ranger station in the centre and use that as a base camp for day treks you must book this in advance, you can do this easily at Puerto Jimenez office and the rangers there will show you the route and advise on transport to carate, (cheap n easy) you can sometimes arrange food at sirena /and accomadation.(not always check first) otherwise you must carry all you food+tent for your stay!! . I must warn you that if your travelling by yourself, your backpack will be very heavy and the temperatures rarley go below 30 degrees, and alot of the first part of the trek is on deep sand in full sun! i always use a jungle hammock with built in fly/mosquito net, very light and extremely comfy. i cannot convey to you enough of just what a special and wonderful place corcovado park is, its worth the mud, rain, and mosquitos! If your feelin adventurous, heres a tip,wade through the shallow stream at sirena at night with a torch and youl see baby caimen, fish eating bats and poison dart frogs, maybe even a jungle cat!!! Good luck wish i was going too!!!!!!!! Steve.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Corcovado National Park