Coral Sea Islands Travel Answers

change location

Honeymooning in the Whitsundays? When is it safe to go to swim in the ocean..?

by gavinjones1 Online Now Nov 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Hi,

Can someone tell me when it is safe to swim in the Whitsundays Coral Sea, away from the stingers/jellyfish?

When, basically is the best time to go, seeing as the hot season seems to be when the stingers come out to play!

Looking forward to any reposnses.

Gavin and Gabriella

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: Honeymooning in the Whitsundays? When is it safe to go to swim in the ocean..?

by lynnehamman Online Now Nov 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Stingers may be present in the waters of Queensland year round, with the higher risk season during October – May. During this period, jellyfish are prevalent in the waters around the mainland, islands and have occasionally been found out on the reef.

You would be safe if you wore a 'stinger suit'- can be bought or possibly hired from sports shops.Very comfortable to wear in the water.
    Always carry a small container of vineger with you- dab some on skin if you get stung.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Honeymooning in the Whitsundays? When is it safe to go to swim in the ocean..?

by gavinjones1 Online Now Nov 13, 2011 at 3:58 AM

Hi Lynn,

Would there be possiblity that there might not be stingers in the island waters around November? I realise it's 'high risk' but does that mean they're guaranteed to be in the waters?

It's such a shame as it looks like such a beautiful place.

Gavin

• Re: Honeymooning in the Whitsundays? When is it safe to go to swim in the ocean..?

by gavinjones1 Online Now Nov 13, 2011 at 4:13 AM

Hi,

Another question: are there any lagoons on the islands which it would be safe to swim in? I've read from someone's post that there is one on Airlie beach and also that they went swimming around November (when we intend to go) and had no problem.

Looking forward to your reply,

Gavin

Re: Honeymooning in the Whitsundays? When is it safe to go to swim in the ocean..?

by lynnehamman Online Now Nov 13, 2011 at 4:25 AM

Hi Gavin

I guess there are no guarantees that there will NOT be any. They are there, but it also depends upon the tides etc.
    However, they do not stop people from entering the water. Just take precautions.
    When we were at Whitsundays- also around Dec a few years ago, some days there were milllions, other days just a few. Hard to predict. Get a stinger suit. Very comfortable and light weight. And 100% stinger-proof.
    Regards

by gavinjones1 Online Now Nov 14, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Hi Lynn,

Thanks so much for your helpful comments. I think we're going to go in September as this looks like the optimum month for temperature and the avoidance of stingers.

Do you happen to know any good travel agents we could use? We're looking to go to Australia for 3 weeks total, with various stop offs.

Looking forward to your reply,

Gavin

by lynnehamman Online Now Nov 14, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Hi Gavin

You know, I never use agents (except of course to book actual flight)- and in my opinion, Flight Centre is the best. Their service has always been excellent.
    However, you can easily make your own plans, once you get to Australia.
    Depending upon where you want to go- domestic flights with Virgin are very reasonable, and I recommend flying between cities, because the distances in Australia are VAST- it could take days to drive between places. If you do fly into Sydney- you could explore the city for a few days, then maybe fly to Melbourne ( my favourite city).
    From Melbourne- fly to CAIRNS or PROSPERINE airport- which is close to Whitsundays and Airlie.
    Accommodation should not be a problem, you could investigate that beforehand- try the WOTIF website ( can only be booked 3 months before)
    Sorry that I can;t give more info regarding an agent. Try Flight centre- they are usually good.

by gavinjones1 Online Now Nov 14, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Thanks again Lynn. We're most likely to be booking 7 nights in the Whitsundays, the flights and car hire only, as we'll be saying in Aus for 3 weeks and would like some freedom...

What a beautiful country it is!

by lynnehamman Online Now Nov 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Yes it is a beautiful country.
    Where else are you planning on driving to?
    Be very careful if you drive after dark. There are many animals and mad long distance truckies on the roads. It can be dangerous.

by gavinjones1 Online Now Nov 17, 2011 at 3:45 AM

We're thinking of driving from Brisbane to Sydney over a couple of days as I understand it's over 600 miles. I've done this drive before and remember it being not too bad...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Coral Sea Islands Travel Answer Locations