Copper Canyon Travel Answers

change location
tom37joan's Profile Photo

Copper Canyon Tour

by tom37joan Online Now Sep 27, 2008 at 5:08 PM

We will be on a cruise ship that stops at Topolobampo, Mexico. They offer a one day tour of The Copper Canyon. We take a two hour drive by motor coach to El Fuerte. From there we get on a private train on the Chihuahua Pacifico railway. We go on a six hour rail journey from sea level to 7200 feet and arrive at Posado Barrancas. Then we have a short transfer to the Mirador Hotel where you can admire the vastness of the Copper Canyon. Then you return by rail and motor coach to the ship. Does this excursion take you far enough into the Copper Canyon? Is it good enough for a taste of it or a little shy with a lot more to see further up the line? The price tag for this trip is439.00 each. I love taking pictures, so I'm seriously looking at this excursion. Thanks for your help! Tom

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Copper Canyon Tour

by Kakapo2 Online Now Sep 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Yes, the point where they would take you is great, and it wil be a wonderful trip. The part from Los Mochis (or wherever you start) to the highest point is more spectacular than the second half to Chihuahua. However, the price tag is really crazy. I have seen an organised tour which did not cost much more but included four nights accommodation plus several day tours...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tom37joan's Profile Photo

by tom37joan Online Now Sep 27, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Thank you so much for your help. You told me that I would be seeing the best part. I know the price is outrageous, but I don't have much choice when the ship is only docked for one day there. Thanks again! Tom

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Sep 27, 2008 at 9:43 PM

You are absolutely right. And you must really imagine that Topolobampo is far away from everything, and that you would not get back to your ship in time if it weren't organised the way you decribe. I am sure you will not be disappointed, and not only the views are fantastic but also the people you will meet. When we made the normal railway trip I nearly missed to admire the view because I was so busy chatting to the Tarahumara indios in their traditional dresses, tasting their food and taking photos of them ;-)

• gdilieto's Profile Photo

by gdilieto Online Now Sep 27, 2008 at 10:08 PM

The train ride between El Fuerte and Divisadero Barrancas is the most scenographic of the whole Chihuahua Pacific Railway and yes, with your itinerary you will get a taste of the Copper Canyon (Barranca del Cobre). Moreover the "mirador" (viewpoint) at the train stop at Divisadero Barrancas provides chance of terrific photographs. The schedule is very tight and the price outrageous, but the Barranca del Cobre is a terrific destination and if you don't plan to come here on purpose in a different trip, it is worth considering the excursion.

You can find some more info and photos about the Barranca del Cobre in my "Creel and Copper Canyon" page.

Enjoy,
    Giuseppe

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Sep 28, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Agree with the others that it is a great trip - the hotel itself is amazing- but the price is outrageous but common for cruise outings.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines