Copenhagen Travel Answers

change location
frey78's Profile Photo

Three potential itineraries through Denmark and/or Sweden

by frey78 Online Now Mar 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I'm traveling to Sweden and/or Denmark in June 2012 with my wife and 8 month old daughter for about 9-10 days. We are renting a car and hope to see a mix of countryside, small towns, coastline, historic sights, natural beauty, and "must-sees" in the area. We want to spend time outdoors, but with a small baby, we can't do intense hikes, canoe trips, etc. Also, we'd like to spend some time in a big city or two, but also want to drive out and get away from the crowds.

I have three possible itineraries that I'm having trouble deciding on. For those who have been to Scandinavia, which option would you choose and why? And do you have any particular recommendations along each path? Also, I know each option goes almost all the way up to Oslo, but I am not inclined to go that far; seems like just another big, expensive city.

OPTION 1: Copenhagen -> Gothenburg (through Sweden)
Couple days in Copenhagen, take the ferry from Helsingor into Sweden. Malmo, Foteviken Viking Reserve, Ystad in the south, then swing up north along the coast. Go up to Stromstad, ferry into the Koster Islands, Tanum, Smogen, and Gothenburg the last couple of days.

OPTION 2: Copenhagen -> Gothenburg (through Denmark)
Couple days in Copenhagen, head west through Roskilde to Odense / Egeskov castle. Up to Aarhus, north to Frederikshavn, ferry over to Sweden. The second half is the same as option 1 (Stromstad, Tanum, Smogen, Gothenburg).

OPTION 3: Stockholm -> Gothenburg
Couple days in Stockholm, up to Sigtuna or Uppsala, stay in Orebro or a small town nearby. West to Lake Varnem, Lacko Slott, Uddevalla, Stromstad, The rest is the same as the other two options.

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines