Cooperstown Travel Answers

change location

STAY IN TOWN OR OUT

by dph40 Online Now Oct 24, 2005 at 9:54 AM

Is it better to stay in-town Cooperstown or book an accommodation further outside of Cooperstown? I'm torn on what would make the better accommodations. Any tips would be most helpful and appreciated. My son is playing at Cooperstown and as this is a once in a lifetime, I want to make the best choice. Pros and cons from someone who has experienced this would be great!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mydreamquest's Profile Photo

RE: STAY IN TOWN OR OUT

by mydreamquest Online Now Oct 24, 2005 at 10:33 AM

Well, you can stay in Utica for a more affordable price, but I think if you go their off-season, the deals should be there.

Because it's a long windy road drive to get to Cooperstown from Utica (and from anywhere outside of Cooperstown), I'd recommend staying in Cooperstown.

It's a very charming, romantic town that will make you feel the ghosts of baseball history. For some reason Norman Rockwell's art comes to mind as well. One of my regrets was that I only visited Cooperstown and then drove away without appreciating the city more. If you're there in the autumn, that's like a dream come true, but I really feel that any season there is worth the visit.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • EstherM's Profile Photo

Re: STAY IN TOWN OR OUT

by EstherM Online Now Apr 10, 2007 at 5:01 AM

There are basically three areas to choose from when staying in Coopertown.
    First off, there are the newer motel/hotels near the Dreamspark. These are the the Best Western, Holiday Inn Express and Howard Johnsons. These are several miles outside the town, walking distance to nothing. They are close to the dreamspark (within 2 minutes drive)

Then there are the motels along the lake. These are on the lake and you have options of boating, fishing and swimming from them. They also have a view. They are walking distance to nothing and about a 8 minute drive to the village.

Then there are B and B's scattered all around, many right in the village. Some are really nice.

Then there is the fancy hotel, The Otesaga, on the lake and in the village. Pricey but special.

Then there are two biggish inns right in the village, one is called "The Cooper Inn" and one is called "the Inn at Cooperstown". Right in the village and charming.

Unique Qualities: Pick what suits you. In the summer plan well in advance. Most place that are seasonal open up in May.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines