Cook Islands Travel Answers

change location
llauraa's Profile Photo

Best location in Cook?

by llauraa Online Now Aug 3, 2011 at 4:13 AM

Thinking of visiting Cook Islands for a 10 day break a friend and wondering if there are any better locations than others we should consider. Have quite a few packages going that we are looking at but have no idea if they are in good areas or not. Should we stay on Rarotonga or make the trek to other islands. We're interested in scuba diving and a nice resort - not particularly family orientated tho - and near some night life or restaurants, entertainment? Or any combination of these 3 ? Dates are app 19 -30 Sep Any suggestions welcome. I have Trip ADvisor on standby - thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Best location in Cook?

by Kakapo2 Online Now Aug 5, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I have not been there personally - but Aitutaki is THE island to go if you have 10 days. It surely is not a nightlife but a relax destination with sensational beaches.

All other islands are rather hard to reach.

I have been in Rarotonga though and would not call it a party destination either.

Most tourists are at Muri Beach where you also find boats, diving, etc.

As distances are minimal and cars/scooters as cheap as chips (plus there are buses that circle the island clockwise and counter-clockwise) you can stay in a different area and just commute to the diving sites.

The best beaches are on the south coast (Titikaveka in particular but also Aroa). Most "nightlife" in Avarua in the north as it is the biggest town. But the resorts do have some nightlife as well. I found Muri overcrowded, so I would surely only go there occasionally and stay in a resort at Titikaveka.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

P.S.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Aug 5, 2011 at 9:47 PM

This is a good website to check out accommodation:

the-cook-islands.com/raroton...

• llauraa's Profile Photo

by llauraa Online Now Aug 8, 2011 at 3:27 AM

thank you that's brilliant, will be on those links :)

• acebruin's Profile Photo

by acebruin Online Now Dec 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM

if you do go to aitutaki, check out Etu Moana:

"Aitutaki's Gem" - Etu Moana Tip by acebruin

that's where we stayed when we went a year ago... absolutely fantastic place! if you also love snorkeling, hands down snorkeling in aitutaki was excellent... you can literally walk out into the lagoon which is only waist deep and start snorkeling... corals are every where... a lot of sea cucumbers, hence the really clean and white sands! you'll love aitutaki! i don't really think it's a nightlife destination... but a very relaxing destination...

• Re: Best location in Cook?

by Tipani Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Etu Moana is a lovely resort, and the proprietors happily arrange dive trips onto the lagoon/ocean side of the reef to several good dive sites.

I hope your trip was fabulous, and that your queires were answered satisfactorily on Trip Advisor as well!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cook Islands Travel Answer Locations