Cook Islands Travel Answers

change location
angelsmom13's Profile Photo

A trip for my Dad.

by angelsmom13 Online Now Dec 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I am researching a trip I am planning for my Dad.In his earlier days he was in the navy.He spent time in the Cook Islands.I know he would like to visit there again.Are there any sites that have any U.S.Naval history to them to visit?

Thanks Angelsmom.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: A trip for my Dad.

by Odinnthor Online Now Dec 19, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Hello again Tracey.....d:o)

Yes there are some sights that have to do with Navy history. Here is a site that has all things Cook Islands to review, although you will not find much regarding the Navy.

http://www.ck/

Here is a bit of history....although limited...

google.com/search?q=cook+isl...

http://www.ck/history.htm

forum.keypublishing.co.uk/ar...

The thing is, the Cooks are not really WW II history oriented. I have done several tours that included the Cooks, and on one tour, I searched and found a local guide that had been there during the time of the Pacific conflict, and he showed a couple of veterans around for me as a special favor. From what i understood, there was some naval history in the Cooks involving the Seabees. That was quite some time ago, and I would suspect that he might not be with us anymore.

history.navy.mil/faqs/faq67-...

Forgive me for being vague about this. I really do not know that much about it. I was under the impression that the Navy activities in the Cooks were a bit secretive, in line with what goes on on the island of Diego Garcia, but I cannot be sure.

I do know that the local guy that I found back in the day, made the Navy veteran on my tour very happy, but I did not get much information. I remember that he was pretty secretive about the whole thing, - but he was happy. Turned out they both knew some of the same people......

Here is a response I gave to someone else regarding accommodations in the Cooks. I am just reposting it for you, in case it may help a bit.....d:o)

Thanks for bringing me back to the Cooks....d:o)

Really only familiar with the really good ones, but we can work this. I have stayed in a couple of these, and have toured some of the others. (As a five star tour director, they always wanted to show me their properties...)

cook.islands-resorts.com/rar...

I know the Royale Takitumu Villas and the Rumours Villas, both great properties but a bit pricey. Look at the link below. All the good properties are listed, and the price ranges are on the right. Ot the three least expensive, the Makayla Palms is pretty nice, and the Sunhaven is not bad, and the Sunrise Beach I do not know. Most of the others in between the Takimutu and Makayla prices are just fine.

Hope this helps a bit......d:o0

cook.islands-resorts.com/rar...

Don't know if any of this is of any help to you but we do try.....d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Dec 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I was told that Aitutaki Lagoon is where amphibious planes would land for refueling and freight delivery when they were commandeered for So. Pacific service during WWII but there's nothing to see that would be reminiscent of that time.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM

We answered the same question just some months ago. Best you check out old Forum postings.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cook Islands Travel Answer Locations