Cook Islands Travel Answers

change location

Taxi

by Bethwatson Online Now Jun 29, 2010 at 1:11 AM

are there taxis available on Rarotonga? if so are reliable and are they available at all times?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • nada1712's Profile Photo

Re: Taxi

by nada1712 Online Now Jun 29, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Yes there are taxis in Rarotonga. As far as I know they are regulated. Available at all times? Well, they will be at the airport anfd you can get your hotel to ring one for you. For getting around you can try a motor scooter. You can get a licence for the time you are there. There are also buses which circle the island.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Taxi

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM

There are several taxi companies with 24/7 service, and they are reliable.

If you need them for airport transport and have luggage, it is ok. But in general, car rental is so cheap that you rather hire a car than use a taxi. The previous poster recommended scooters. That is the way many locals get around the island as well - just not so pleasant in a tropical rain storm ;-)) The buses circle the island clockwise and anti-clockwise, so you can always choose the shorter and faster trip.

If you hire a car or scooter you have to consider the cost of a Cook Islands licence (I think it was NZ$ 20 last year) which you need if you hire for longer than 24 hours. If you have a vehicle for a day only the rental companies will give you a temporary licence for very little money, I think it was NZ$ 2 or so.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cook Islands Travel Answer Locations