Cook Islands Travel Answers

change location

deecee48

by deecee48 Online Now Jun 20, 2009 at 8:22 PM

traveling to the cook islands in may 2010. we are thinking of staying with a family or in a village so as to get to know the people. is their a place or village.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • oldruss's Profile Photo

Re: deecee48

by oldruss Online Now Jun 24, 2009 at 2:14 AM

DeeCee,
    Rarotonga is the main island in the Cooks group. I presume that is where you are heading to. The islands main road is only about 35km around the entire island. There are numerous villages and places to stay. Whether or not you are able to stay with a family,I am unsure. However,there are a lot of varied accomodation places. IE- Resorts,Motels,Bungalows and Lodges. I hope this helps.
    By the way, there is also a bus service that circles the island every half hour. One bus goes clockwise, the other, anticlockwise. Very easy to get around.
    Oldruss

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: deecee48

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 26, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I have seen B&B's and Guesthouses when I was on Rarotonga lately.

Avarua is the biggest township but many villages with church communities dotted around the island. The most touristy area is Muri, plus the bad weather comes from this side (south-east). The south coast was most authentic, the names of the villages are Rutaki, Vaimaanga and Titikaveka.

On the Jasons Guides (www.jasons.com) there is quite a lot of good info about the Cooks.

There is a lot to see away from the ring road serviced by the public bus. It is worth to rent a car or scooter to get around. They are dirt cheap, about NZ$ 20 to 25 per day. You just need a local drivers licence which you get at the police station in Avarua for NZ$ 20.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cook Islands Travel Answer Locations