Compiègne Travel Answers

change location
mrsfigg's Profile Photo

Barges on the river Oise?

by mrsfigg Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM

There used to be plenty of commercial river traffic passing through Compiegne. Is it still as busy these days? Barge spotting is a very interesting pastime!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Barges on the river Oise?

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Haven't been there but the here's a quote from the following web site: "The River is part of the future “Liaison Seine Nord” from Paris to the Channel for big vessels. It has a very high traffic volume, up to 100 vessels a day!"

european-waterways.eu/e/info...

Be patient and you should get a reply from someone over there. There's a big time difference.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM

yes it is heavily commercial, and the plan for a greater paris navigation system linking them all is on hold as the cost is about 1,3 B € and the EU is not ready to help out. So the congestion will continue for a while there. Its call the Seine Nord Europe and it now should link up with the Paris region waterways if the EU says yes, doubted in our days.
    indeed is a nice sight and Compiégne is very nice indeed with lots of history.

you have some pictures here on this pdf file on the official fluvial site in France VNF
    vnf.fr/sne/IMG/pdf/Panneaux_...

if you like a boat cruise this took once several years back and is grand, L'Anacoluthe
    anacoluthe-cruises.fr/Anacol...

like said, lovely ride and great Compiégne. Hope it helps

1 member found this helpful

• mrsfigg's Profile Photo

by mrsfigg Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I was worried that the traffic would have dropped significantly given the slowdown of business in general throughout Europe. I will enjoy planning a trip for later in the year.

• mrsfigg's Profile Photo

by mrsfigg Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Thank you for your reply giving me more information. I am not thinking of taking a cruise but do enjoy travelling near commercial canals, sometimes the cargo is fascinating. I once saw a barge in Germany laden with helicopters! Unfortunately, I had forgotten my camera on that trip!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM

it will take you past the port and see the barges ,the cruise that is
    chhers

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines