Como Travel Answers

change location
phingy's Profile Photo

Boating at Lake Como

by phingy Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Hi guys,

I'm planning to go boating at Lake Como during the end of October. I'll be taking a train from Lugano to Como S. Giovanni (I presume this is the train station in Como town?) and would preferably want to take a boat ride early in the morning.

Any idea on the accessibility to the lake from Como town and if the accommodation (hostel) is expensive there?

Also, should I take the water taxi to Bellagio or Varenna? Do recommend!

Appreciate any advice! THANK YOU!!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:18 AM

1. Como S. Giovanni is the Trenitalia station in town, so yes, it is the one you will arrive at from Lugano (on Trenitalia, the national railroad). There are three other stations in Como, but they all belong to LeNord, a private rail company.

2. Como (town) is ON the lake, so accessibility is not a problem. Como S. Giovanni station is about 10-15 minutes' walk to the docks where the ferries land, according to VTer leics who I believe has been there (I haven't). It certainly isn't too far on the map.

3. I haven't a clue about hostels.

4. A "water taxi" is a private conveyance like a taxi (but on water) that is a term used in Venice. On Como, you have "traghetti" (ferries), and "batelli" (boats, but big enough for the job). In English, they're both called "ferries", but I think the batelli carry just people, not cars. I can't imagine that you wouldn't want to take a ferry or boat, if the weather is nice - isn't that why you're going?

Look at navlaghi.it/eng/news.asp?ID=... for various schedules.

Bill

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • phingy's Profile Photo

Re: Boating at Lake Como

by phingy Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Oh yes, I meant the ferries/boats! I happened to saw the water taxi term somewhere and thought they refer to the same.

I was wondering if the view of the lake is amazing enough for a detour from Lugano to Venice as the train tickets are rather expensive for the Lugano - Como - Venice route.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Sorry, but I haven't been up to Como...but doesn't the actor George Clooney have a villa on Lake Como (or is it Lago di Garda?), well, nevermind, I have no doubt that it will be beautiful, but this is the big problem of visiting Italy - everything is beautiful, and you just have to make your choices on which things to see!

Bill

• phingy's Profile Photo

by phingy Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Hahaha yes, I think George Clooney has a villa there. I wanna go to a lot of places but to also have some time for sightseeing :)

I'm a little confused over the Como (town) being on the lake. So when my train arrives, I should be quite near the docks/hotels?

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM

phingy wrote:
    Hahaha yes, I think George Clooney has a villa there. I wanna go to a lot of places but to also have some time for sightseeing :)

I'm a little confused over the Como (town) being on the lake. So when my train arrives, I should be quite near the docks/hotels?

Take a look at www.viamichelin.com . Enter under Maps, "Como, Italy" Zoom in a couple of times, and you will see one or more train icons appear - these are the 4 rail stations. Como S. Giovanni is on you rleft (and it's marked by name). As you can see, the town isn't very big.

Like I said, I haven't been to Como so I don't know about changes in elevation, but it's not a big town and you're right on the edge of it.. if you look at the bottom end of the lake, you'll see a line running out into the water - that's a pier - turn on the satellite view and you'll see the boats.

Bill

• phingy's Profile Photo

by phingy Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Thanks a lot! I'll check it out. Currently deciding between Como or Florence :)

• bugulma's Profile Photo

by bugulma Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

been in Como last week :-) S.Giovanni station in 10-12 minutes by walk from the old town and the lake (you may use bus as well). In spite it is early spring I saw the ships/boats/water taxi operate around the lake (although I did not use it). The town is quite interesting to see, the Cathedral and narrow streets.
    Not far from the old town there is Como Nord Lago station. I guess you will use it that to go to Milan and further to Venice (I mean you will need not return to S11-station: by the way, the regional train was a bit cheaper than S-11 in my expensive :-)))

• scottiesky's Profile Photo

by scottiesky Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I've been to Lake Como and consider it the most beautiful place I've ever seen, so it's definitely worth a detour. FWIW - the train only travels on the east side of the lake (Varenna). My daughter and I arrived late at night and had to taxi to Lenno (west side). Very expensive. But would still love to return to this beautiful place.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines