Colorado Travel Answers

change location

6-day SW Colorado Winter itinerary with teens

by spdyummy Online Now Sep 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Would love suggestions, info and advice for a budget-friendliesh family ISO ski and family hang-time vacation. Kids are solid intermediate skiers yet have never been to a ski resort out West. They want to continue a family tradition of midnight tubing to bring in the New Year. We (parents) can't ski anymore and would love to sneak in a photography worshop/tour. If it would be up to them, they'd ski, ski, ski, ETA together, watch a gámez in t.v.; up to US, we'd drive around without itinerary and go to every national Park around the 4 córners. feel free to revisit itinerary/destinations. And pelase pardon typos and whatnots as I have a lousyscreen and a Spanish predictive text programa!
From this and other travel sites I've come up with a rough itinerary?
1. Arrive Durango noonish, rent a 4WD and drive into town. Sleep in Durango.
2.shuttle to Durango Ski Resort (DSR) then back into town. Sleep in Durango.
3. As "b"
4. As above half day and leave Resort, looping around 145 straight to Ouray. Explore, ice hiking - watching, I guess. Sleep there for 2 nights. Springs(?)
5 Teluride skiing and parents do 1/2 day photo sunset workshop. Drive back to Ouray
6. Drive to ?????for New Years tubing family ritual. We need to end un close to Durango that last night because we leave the next a.m. From Durango airport Jan 1st.

Q: where to go for ski rentals for Telluride-at Resort or somewhere less expensive?
Q: I've only seen 1 photo worshop that offers 1/2 day tours and it is based in Teluride. Any suggestions?
Q: given the unpredictable weather and terrain I'm assuming we'll need to be flexible about what to do when and How to get there, which we're very cool with,except that Im assuming most hotels won't be (?)
Q. ice climbing looks cool but am assuming it won't be worth thinking about since we'd only have 1 day to try it.(.)
Q: Does it make sense to staying in Ouray for 3 nights and drive to Teluride for a ski day. If so, isn't it too dangerous to drive back to Ouray at night even with a 4WD?
Q: I've heard about small airport Car rental places having higher rates. If we fly into Durango, would we have another option? Worth considering not renting a car for the 1st data we'd stay in Durango and shuttle(?) into Durango Mtn Resort?
Q: is there godo cél phone sígnal around the área? We'd loveto drive around some while the kids are skiing but won't feel comfortable doing so if we can't be reached.

Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Colorado Travel Answer Locations