Colombo Travel Answers

change location

Cafes and Apartments in Colombo

by peterdavids Online Now Nov 6, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Can anyone who lives in or has been to Colombo, Sri Lanka, please tell me the names of some nice coffee shops/cafes for westerners in the centre of Colombo? Just European-type ones though, not American-style cafes like Starbucks. Also, what does it cost to rent a 1 bedroom apartment or studio apartment in Colombo, near the centre (say 64 square metres or less)? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Re: Cafes and Apartments in Colombo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Nov 6, 2010 at 5:11 PM

There aren't a whole lot of such cafes in Colombo, due to tourism being down for so long and that a lot of tourists don't spend much if any time in Colombo. The ex-pat community is also not so large,and for other reasons, such just are not as viable there as other places.......but there are several small places around and one favorite that you can go to any time of day for 'short eats' etc. is CAFE ON THE 5th, which is 5th Lane running east off of R.A. de Mel Mawatha, or more commonly called "Duplication Road". It is an open air setting with lots of greenery around, but there are tables inside of course.

Not too far away is the GALLERY CAFE, 2 Alfred House Rd,part of PARADISE ROAD shop; also you can 2 others noted on my Colombo page, ODEL's and BAREFOOT, both of whch are also connected to high-end specialty shops and all 3 of these are VERY nice and worthwhile.
    Colombo Shopping Tips by ViajesdelMundo

Odel's and Barefoot would be better for hours outside of mealtimes and less expensive.

Mostly, the foreign shops and cafes would be around the Cinnamon Gardens, Kollupitiya and Bambalapitiya areas on/between/near Galle and Duplication Roads, except for ODEL's; but you may well want to get a tuk-tuk there anyway (see my Tip).

There is als another good place on Duplication Road very close to 5th Lane, on the west side of the road, but I can't recall the name right now.

A lot of the ex-pats use the big hotels' lounges, particularly Cinnamon Grand and the nicest setting and ambience of course is the verandah lounge at the GALLE FACE HOTEL,facing right on the Indian Ocean. (See my Tip on it)

There used to be a very extensive guest-room availability but it has dwindled over the years, but still a few around. Right now I don't have any off the top of my head and I need to go out, but maybe could find something for you, although there are a couple living in Colombo area, who are active on here and they would probably be able to give better info, as I was last there in 2008.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines